Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decentralized Fort  (Read 1472 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decentralized Fort
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:56:35 pm »

I want to make a decentralized fort but am having trouble figuring out how to arrange stockpiles so that dorfs don't go wandering halfway across the map to find something to eat.

Will dwaves prefer to eat from a stockpile located in their dining room so long as one is available?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decentralized Fort
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:00:05 pm »

If they are in burrows, they will only eat at stockpiles in that burrow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »

I have toyed with the idea of a "strict segregation" fort before.

Essentially 4 forts on the same embark, in each of the corners, with strict cultural isolation, and a dress code.

One wears red clothes, one wears green, one wears blue, and one wears black--  enforced through burrows and local supply production. (Eg, the only dyestuff in each microfort is the one for the dresscode. Naturally, all clothes produced will be that color, and the only permitted clothing for replacements is in their isolated burrow)

I have never gotten around to it yet though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:00:02 am »

Separate burrows (or physical barriers) are required to keep them in place most of the time. Note that this usage of ordinary burrows is incompatible with civilian alert burrows, as civilian alerts override the ordinary burrow restrictions and allow the dorfs to roam freely between any parts of the civilian alert burrow (a dorf with a preference for something available in another burrow section might leave his section to cross the battlefield in order to reach a stockpile within another burrow segment at the other side of the embark).

Dwarves will usually grab the "closest" food item, but if they have preferences they have been observed to seek out their preferred booze or raw ingredient. They generally seem to be incapable of locating meals containing a favored ingredient, although I've heard of one case where a dorf apparently went the extra distance to grab something that did contain favored stuff. Burrows will restrict them to targets within their burrow.

Also note that need satisfaction doesn't play nice with burrows, as it's fairly common for dorfs to defy burrow restrictions to satisfy needs. Not only will they refuse to give up socializing when the tavern is outside of the burrow they're added to, but they will also frequently go to the burrow to eat, sleep, and drink (provided these resources are available there), and then return back to the tavern to continue socializing (several times). Once they've acknowledged burrows they usually stay, though. It's also been reported that dorfs defy civilian alerts to stroll around the battlefield. An unsubstantiated speculation is that this is caused by a need to wander satisfaction.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:49:35 am »

I've found it's also difficult to move items between stockpiles in different burrows.
You get constant job cancellation spam from dwarves in burrows try to take an item from one to another and can't, even when you have dedicated hullers assigned to both burrows.

I only use burrows now for:
1) civilian alerts
2) workshop restriction, e.g. restriction workshops and stockpiles to a certain area
3) dedicated military outposts.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 01:10:53 am »

Minecart shuttle system.

Each endpoint is inside the respective burrows, so that dwarves can interact with the minecart, and load it. When it is kicked off, it travels to the other cloistered burrow, and since it is set to automatically dump, items are deposited on the dropoff. At that point they become available to the other burrow.

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:31:04 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:23:26 am by fucduck »