Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Children of a Dead Earth: Losing is Fun in Space!  (Read 5166 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Children of a Dead Earth: Losing is Fun in Space!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »

Slope the ship into a conical shape, it'll help with that.
Or just stick the guns on the very front. it works well.
You can only stick one type of gun on the very front. If you want a ship with more than one type of armament, they have to go on the side. Even with a strongly conical shape, the guns stick directly out the side, perpendicular to the direction of travel and not to the surface of the ship. I've even tried to make a sideways flying monster but it just ends up confusing the AI too much.
Turreted guns on the sides and a powerful spinal mount gun.
The size that turreted guns need to be to angle 90 degrees is outrageous. (Granted, the turret gives these guns a full half-sphere arc and their size is reasonable for that; but, it is unreasonable that we have to use a turret that large to simply fire forward in a fixed arc in the first place!) The powerful spinal weapon looks like the best way to design ships considering the biases in the game.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 04:27:29 pm »

The big problem I have with turrets is the reaction wheels. Honestly, just put a couple servos in there and you won't need 30 tons of depleted uranium spinning at 1krpm.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »

Can you put missile bays on the side and let their guidance computers do the work of getting them moving in the right direction, or is that a delta v issue?

Edit:  Looks like missile bays are already on the side.

On a related note, I'm stuck on mission 3, the one where you have to kill a ship with 0 delta-v and bigass guns. 

My current solution, which didn't work, was to use out-of-plane to match orbits with the ship going in opposite directions, then fire my missiles and lower orbit out of intercept course.  That way the drones get to the target with no input required and my ship gets out of the danger zone.  But then when I actually went to intercept it required almost all of their delta-v to enter combat and then they promptly ran out of fuel and died without doing any damage.  Is that because of the high relative velocity from having them approach head-on?

Does anyone have any hints, without just giving away a solution?

Also, is there any way to slow down time in the combat interface, or pause it once it's started?  i want to see the pretty fireworks.

Edit:  Turns out the drones had broadside weapons, I was assuming they were spinal mounted.  Didn't knwo what else to do, hit broadside order on a whim, boom, goteem.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:49:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 12:30:54 am »

Edit:  Turns out the drones had broadside weapons, I was assuming they were spinal mounted.  Didn't knwo what else to do, hit broadside order on a whim, boom, goteem.
Some of the default designs are a little bit unintuitive.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 02:36:32 am »

TBH I found the campaign pretty easy... I only had to try 2 missions twice, and both were due to me not reading the briefing through. The other was a non-combat mission too. I never even customized fleets or ships. The AI not only very rarely attempts to evade or intercept, it also very bad at using missiles.

The game really needs a mission editor and something to tweak or script AI behaviour with! You could make some awesome missions with stock ships alone!
Pages: 1 [2]