Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying forest without Zombies, Evil Clouds or Evil Rain  (Read 2839 times)

Slakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying forest without Zombies, Evil Clouds or Evil Rain
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:30:43 pm »

As the post title says i embarked on a terrifying forest to find no dificulty whatsoever, this is very strange to me since i've played dwarf fortress for a long time and it never happened to me before. Is this a bug or a new feature?

Im playing 0.43.03 with the LNP if it helps.

Here is a link to a video where i show the region (Warning: the video is in spanish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTz4vccB5XY

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying forest without Zombies, Evil Clouds or Evil Rain
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:30 pm »

Nah. It can happen randomly, or on purpose.

For on purpose, set evil rain, evil cloud and regional interaction numbers to 0 (you can still get blood rain though).

Also, thread would fit more into DF Q&A.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:38:31 am »

Do not let your guard down yet. Just because you haven't seen any evil region effects yet doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any. Give it time and you may find there is evil weather that just hasn't showed up yet. How long have you been kicking back in this seemingly friendly evil biome? I assume you have tested to see if it is a reanimating zone?

Terrifying biomes in particular, generally tend to have some sort of evil regional effect although it is possible you just got lucky/unlucky. It certainly is possible to get an evil biome, even a savage one, that lacks any kind of evil juju outside of evil creatures and plants spawning there. I've also seen it take quite a while before the evil weather showed up.

Slakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:03:06 pm »

Do not let your guard down yet. Just because you haven't seen any evil region effects yet doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any. Give it time and you may find there is evil weather that just hasn't showed up yet. How long have you been kicking back in this seemingly friendly evil biome? I assume you have tested to see if it is a reanimating zone?

Terrifying biomes in particular, generally tend to have some sort of evil regional effect although it is possible you just got lucky/unlucky. It certainly is possible to get an evil biome, even a savage one, that lacks any kind of evil juju outside of evil creatures and plants spawning there. I've also seen it take quite a while before the evil weather showed up.

Its not a reanimating zone and its highly unlikely to have no evil weather in a whole year.

Although something strange happened in the second gameplay. One of my recruit dwarfs disappeared and after a while i learn that he had died of thirst above a tree. Im guessing its a bug, there is no creature in game that would bring my dwarfs on top of the tree and let em die there.or is there?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:02:40 pm »

Its not a reanimating zone and its highly unlikely to have no evil weather in a whole year.

Although something strange happened in the second gameplay. One of my recruit dwarfs disappeared and after a while i learn that he had died of thirst above a tree. Im guessing its a bug, there is no creature in game that would bring my dwarfs on top of the tree and let em die there.or is there?

there is a 50% chance for no reanimation, I imagine the numbers are similar for other kinds of evil weather, don't worry though it will still have evil alligned creatures.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Slakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:30:28 pm »

UPDATE

User Melting Sky was right and by random chance it took the evil clouds a long time to show up. It has the red ones that kill everthing it touches.

Thanks for your time, sorry i bothered you for nothing.

How did my dwarf end up on top of a tree is still a mistery.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:04 am »

Birds, typically, scare/anger them to climb on top of trees. Pretty common on any embark.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »

Birds, typically, scare/anger them to climb on top of trees. Pretty common on any embark.

Then once they're up there they ca'n't figure out how to get down again and die of thirst.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Slakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:29:15 pm »

I didn't know that. Thanks for your answer. But how come that in adventure mode i can climb and my dwarfs cannot?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 09:35:31 pm »

I didn't know that. Thanks for your answer. But how come that in adventure mode i can climb and my dwarfs cannot?
Dwarves can climb, and pretty well, but their pathfinding algorithm doesn't like it, so dwarves who just climbed up a tree in fear/rage no longer consider the path up they took to be valid and dehydrate themselves to death.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 06:07:08 am »

UPDATE

User Melting Sky was right and by random chance it took the evil clouds a long time to show up. It has the red ones that kill everthing it touches.

Thanks for your time, sorry i bothered you for nothing.

How did my dwarf end up on top of a tree is still a mistery.

Yeah, those evil clouds can be sneaky. I also learned this lesson the hard.