Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the visitor range, if there is one?  (Read 1127 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the visitor range, if there is one?
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:18:35 am »

I have problems getting visitors in most of my worlds. However, in the current one I do get a fair flow of visitors, but all of them (except 1, over 10 years or so) have been humans, despite the world having slightly more elves than humans (and both are much more numerous than goblins, which I don't expect to see many of, since I'm at war with their only civ), and a large elven civ being my trading partner.

Thus, is it known if there is a range for how far visitors are prepared to travel (or some kind of formula) and if so, what is it?

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the visitor range, if there is one?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:35:31 pm »

I was wondering this the other day. I looked around legends for it and my furthest visitor was from about 35 world tiles away. He was a human scholar coming from what seems to be the largest library in the world.
I'd imagine there would be no limit, less peaceful visitors have no travel limit right?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »

not that ive checked, but it seems logical that visitors wouldent have a travel limit.

lets say that site A and site B are 10 miles apart, and site B and site C are 10 miles apart, and site A and site C are 20 miles apart.
a visitor from site A cant go to site C because its too far to go in one day and they are scared of bandits, so they go from site A to site B, and then the next day they go from site B to site C.

so if it is at all possible to get visitors where you live, they should be able to come from anywhere else thats theoretically accessible through a chain
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:00:46 pm »

I definitely get visitors from the other side of the world.  I think that's part of the idea of having visitors.  You have a way to get stories, etc from different places in the world.  Of course it means you have to pay attention to what's happening in your locations...

Although I find it interesting.  My taverns are almost always overrun with visitors, while my shrines get only a couple of people coming.  Having played adventure mode a fair amount, I am sympathetic to the difficulty of finding a good pint (Elvish taverns don't even have booze!!!  And neither do Dwarfish drinking halls, come to think of it  >:( ).  My biggest wish is that visitors to the tavern would stay for significantly less time (like 2 weeks maximum).  I have visitors who do not petition stay for years at a time.  I also wish that visitors wouldn't indiscriminately kill off all the creatures on their way through to the pub.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 03:06:07 am »

I would be careful about invoking "logic" and "DF" in the same sentence...
I've had dwarven visitors from my home civ across the world (no limit there, just like the caravan) in another fortress, but as I said initially, I don't get any elves in my current world, even though there are lots of them (about half a dozen elven civs and about the same number of human ones). The human civ my fortress is trading with is at war with the elven civ my fortress is trading with, but not with the other elven civs. Given that visitors commit suicide by charging in to a fortress under attack, one might think they wouldn't care about war with a civ en route (see, the logic fallacy again...).

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:14 am »

've had dwarven visitors from my home civ across the world (no limit there, just like the caravan) in another fortress, but as I said initially, I don't get any elves in my current world, even though there are lots of them (about half a dozen elven civs and about the same number of human ones). The human civ my fortress is trading with is at war with the elven civ my fortress is trading with, but not with the other elven civs.

Do you get many human visitors?  I'd be interested if your human visitors are killing the elven visitors who should theoretically be coming.  Like Manly McLikesapint is coming to sample your dwarven ales, runs across Pointyears McCorpsenommer on the journey, who is also en route, and they get in a fight. Or maybe the human caravan just rides down every elf on the road on the way in.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:15:54 am »

I get a full set of humans (the limit is set at 30, and that's about as many I have constantly). As I said, the closest human civ is only at war with one of the elven civs. The elven caravan makes the journey just fine (unless blocked by a goblin siege, of course).