Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Support  (Read 1103 times)

wysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BGG Profile
Noob Support
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »

First post in the forum. I have flirted with the idea of trying DF for years. Played Minecraft as a gateway drug. Started digging deeper into DF and really dabbling a few months ago.

Tried once, gave up. Tried twice, stalled out. Three time is, indeed, the charm. I'm hooked and haven't even touched Adventure Mode yet.

I've worked my way through a mish-mash of PeridexisErrant’s DF Walkthrough and the wiki quickstart guide. I've had a surprisingly quiet first 3 years of survival, 98 residents. No sieges yet or even that many nobles...(not that there's anything wrong with them.)

I'm sure plenty of 'fun' is coming my way soon. Especially as I get greedy and make costlier goods. I do have the corpse of a poor, beserk child that had to be cut down by The Joyous Lizard-Ships squad. For some reason I can't get my little friends to remove her to a proper burial (or even the corpse stockpile). Ah well, a little miasma will make them tougher.

Thoroughly enjoying myself and I've signed up this morning as monthly Patreon! I expect many years of enjoyment to come.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Support
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:03 pm »

Have you tried building a casket at your carpenter workshop or a coffin at your mason workshop?

wysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:28 pm »

Yeah I have a nice little cemetery. Others have been buried there but I can't even assign one  to the dead girl. Maybe because she went beserk and got killed by militia (?) And the dwarves take other corpses to the right stockpile, like the fun wereape that came in a slaughtered 7 before I could get the militia on him.

KingGorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:50 pm »

If for whatever reason you can't entomb a dead dwarf, at a mason's workshop you can build a slab, (alt-b) and then have an engraver make it a memoral to the dead at a craftdwarf's workshop (Alt-s) and then place it like a building.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »

The corpse might be forbidden (meaning your dwarves are told to leave it alone - some things are auto-forbidden so that, e.g. haulers don't try to collect arrows in the middle of a battle, and I think "enemy" corpses are on that list). Look at the corpse by pressing k. If it has curly braces around it, like this: {Urist McDeadgirl's mutilated corpse} then it's forbidden. Press f to unforbid things.

There is a preferences menu to change what gets auto-forbidden.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:23 pm »

After you have constructed and built the coffins, you have designate them for burial.  You have to press "q" near them and turn burial on.  You can also assign coffins to nobles this way once you get them.  I dunno if that is the problem, but I hope it helps.

wysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BGG Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:46:04 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I had already tried most of it (coffins assigned, etc). Her corpse wasn't forbidden but all her stuff (clothing etc) was. I unforbid that, waited a while. Added 'dump' to her corpse.

I haven't done a memorial slab yet. Will try that.

In other good news, I think I infected my 19 year old son with the DF bug too. Boatmurdered helped, of course. : )