Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Solved] What causes the dorfs to (fail to) collect eggs?  (Read 672 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Solved] What causes the dorfs to (fail to) collect eggs?
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:37:43 am »

I suffer from periodic birdsplosions in my fortresses because the dorfs just ignore egg collection. I've put that up to overworking and egg collection being a low priority task, but currently my fortress is trying to have an R&R season, so half of the dorfs are socializing (green). The wiki claims egg collection is a food hauling task, but a lot of my socializers have food hauling enabled and haven't moved their lazy butts to collect those eggs for quite some time. I haven't quite managed to stop work completely, as there's still item hauling going on to clean up after the mess the latest goblin invasion caused (slaughtering a dozen or so mercs, leaving their gear to be hauled off).

Edit: I tired of waiting, so I ordered the eggs dumped, at which dorfs swarmed into the animal pen to sweep up the eggs. As soon as they'd been dumped I unforbid them, but they're ignored, as are the new batches of eggs laid. And I've reached the stage where nobody is working, so it's not for a lack of workers. I've rechecked the settings on the food stockpile, and it does indeed specify eggs as one of the permitted categories.

Edit2: A new check showed the food stockpile somehow was set to take from links only...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:30:37 am by PatrikLundell »

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] What causes the dorfs to (fail to) collect eggs?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:28:59 am »

After your edit: I was going to propose to check if you had stockpile space/free pots.