Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mechanical Repeater  (Read 874 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Mechanical Repeater
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:37:41 pm »

Does anyone have any good designs for repeatedly raising and lowering upright spikes rather than the traditional set "pull the lever" on repeat?  It needs to be fast and preferably turned on/off by a simple lever pull.  I ask this because dwarves are naturally unreliable, and I want the spikes to keep going up and down for months at a time.

Any ideas?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Repeater
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:07:25 pm »

Well, I have an idea, but untested.  Set up a 2 by 1 area.  Have two pressure pads in there set to trigger when water level is 4 and hook both to the trap.  Put a hatch above this, in a 1 x 1 area.  Fill the area above until it is at 7, then stop.  Open the hatch and let all the water drain into the bottom area.  The two squares below should wind up with a standing wave, alternating between 3 and 4, which should toggle the trap.  If you make one of the walls in the bottom section a floodgate, you can turn this off by draining it.  Turning it back on is done by resetting the hatch and refilling the top area when the bottom area is at 0 water level. 

Not sure how fast this would all operate, but it would certainly be low maintenance.  Also see http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=16195.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:11:14 pm by Quiller »