Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Everyone I know is broken.  (Read 2830 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone I know is broken.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »

Well I thought I would offer some input...
In my life I don't have a gang as the vast majority of people would pronounce it. We don't do bad shit,
We just hang out and stick together regardless of events. It's a close group of friends. Maybe gang was or isn't the right word (constructive criticism here) but my philosophy differs in that aspect.
I would just say that it's only a close group of good friends. I have some great friends that I occasionally refer to as my "crew" or just simply as "the guys" or "the group." There's a pretty big stigma associated with the word "Gang."
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »

"We are not a gang, we are a club!" /nostinkingbadges

Anyway, while you should do some strength/flexibility exercises (start slowly), you can get a lot of benefits just from walking - shoot to work up to at least a half hour and keep picking up the pace, ideally you want to raise your heart rate a bit.   Try to do it every day, or almost every day.  If it's hard to block out time for it, sneak it into your daily routine - leave 20 minutes earlier and instead of walking to school/work/store directly, walk around the block (neighborhood permitting of course).

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:46 am »

"We are not a gang, we are a club!" /nostinkingbadges

Anyway, while you should do some strength/flexibility exercises (start slowly), you can get a lot of benefits just from walking - shoot to work up to at least a half hour and keep picking up the pace, ideally you want to raise your heart rate a bit.   Try to do it every day, or almost every day.  If it's hard to block out time for it, sneak it into your daily routine - leave 20 minutes earlier and instead of walking to school/work/store directly, walk around the block (neighborhood permitting of course).

This is great advice. Walking, specifically, is what humans are made for.
If you're walking long distances, make sure you buy the right kind of footwear and choose a route which is not hard on your joints. I learnt this the hard way. Thick soles and cushy roads (grass, or some kinds of tarmac) for example are a pleasure to walk on.
A stony path with shoes or thin soles will hurt everything from your ankles/knees to your hips and back. Be careful.
Still it's nice to walk in nature and enjoy the sights.
There's a hill I like to walk on, from which you can see London, all lit up at night. S' Beautiful.

Try mixing in yoga, breathing exercises and things like that.
Meditative practices also have a big effect on metabolism and health. It's worth looking into these things, as they can affect nerves, digestion, pain tolerance etc. through the power of concentration alone. Even if it doesn't make things easier, it gives you more concentration to deal with things around you, and makes you more stable internally too.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 02:17:35 pm »

I have to agree with 74s here. I've learned through trial and error in my early years that you can quite literally expend your mental energy while exercising if you focus and concentrate on the muscle area groups in particular. This has beneficial effects instead of feeling all worn out and sore you can use your head to work your body. Mind over matter as they say in a simplified, better IMHO form. If you'd like me to elaborate on how I specifically did it, feel free to ask.

PS an example: if you simply run up a flight of stairs but concentrate mentally on the muscle groups while having a fixed endpoint, you can exercise your muscles far more and less strenuously.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »

I have to agree with 74s here. I've learned through trial and error in my early years that you can quite literally expend your mental energy while exercising if you focus and concentrate on the muscle area groups in particular. This has beneficial effects instead of feeling all worn out and sore you can use your head to work your body. Mind over matter as they say in a simplified, better IMHO form. If you'd like me to elaborate on how I specifically did it, feel free to ask.

PS an example: if you simply run up a flight of stairs but concentrate mentally on the muscle groups while having a fixed endpoint, you can exercise your muscles far more and less strenuously.

Mind over matter indeed. You always hear stories about how mothers can lift cars off their children. You don't have to be in a life-or-death situation, but it helps if you concentrate a lot, and practice.
Actually, if you can get into lucid dreaming, you can control and feel your body more intensely, sometimes I can move my limbs whilst I'm laying asleep in bed. It also helps if you have pain, you can concentrate on it much whilst sleeping. I've found that examining the organs as well as muscles also helps, because of how hormones affect your body's homeostasis. A little something to do with how the body repairs itself faster when it's asleep.
Make sure you get good nutrition if you're starting exercise, or attempting to repair your body through meditation/concentration: it depletes your reserves of things:
Sugar
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Water
Salt
Also get protein, and vitamins and minerals etc. I won't go into it, because it's a LOT and it varies wildly. You should really ask your doctor, or consult medical advice, but use !SCIENCE! as well, and figure out what works for you.

EDIT:
Don't forget the various Oils that the body needs.
Pages: 1 [2]