Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do dwarves build themselves ouf of castle and keep?  (Read 1607 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do dwarves build themselves ouf of castle and keep?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

Lovely save.
Also acceptable; The diagram doesn't show it, but the west side is a freakish 7/7 column of water.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon8685:
<STRONG>If you're like me, you're absoloutely paranoid. You'll set up a complicated system to prevent anything from getting in by simply walling off the entire level of the fortress that touches ground floor - IE, not even megabeasts can get in, since there's no damn doors to claw down.</STRONG>

Wait, how do the caravans get in?

You have heard of drawbridges right?

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

I had similar problem when i was building floodgates under the room i planned to flood goblins in.
It looked like this:

code:
OOO       O - wall
O.O       . - floor  
OXO       X - floodgate i wanted to build

There was a floor hatch above it, the floodgate was planned to hold the water in the room above until the goblins drown, then to release the water so i can use the whole thing again. I was building 5 floodgates like this.
After building all these, i discovered that i have 5 dwarves trapped behind the floodgates, so i deconstructed all the floodgates and started building again hoping that i was simply unlucky and my dwarves won't make this mistake again.
I was wrong.
I tried to build each of the floodgates 3 times and that stupid dwarves were ALWAYS building them from wrong side blocking their way to escape. I almost went Stark, raving mad!   :mad:

Then i accidentally discovered a solution to the problem:
I had to destroy one of the walls near the floodgate, then build the floodgate, then rebuild the wall. It looked like this:

code:
Step 1:     Step 2:      Step 3:

OOO         OOO          OOO
O.O         O.O          O.O
O..         OX.          OXO
...         ...          ...

That way dwarves could go outside after building the floodgate, and weren't getting stuck when building the wall because they could build it only from outside.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Rafal99 ]

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 [2]