Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New(ish) damage system and layering armor  (Read 1405 times)

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New(ish) damage system and layering armor
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »

Hello,

So, it has come to my attention that at some point in the past few updates, the combat system in DF has rather invisibly and seamlessly changed completely.  Or at least the manner in which combat deals with armor, which amounts to the same most of the time.  There was a time, not -too- long ago that one could deck their dwarves head to toe in plate, walk them into a room for of dozens of wooden training spears that would repeatedly fire out of the floor at them at high velocity, and be almost assured that they would never take any damage at all.  This was of course silly, but it did illustrate something about the nature of how combat handled armor.  If an area was fully covered, and an attack hit that area using a weak material without much of an edge, then the attack would deflect off, and that deflection could cause no damage.  Cutting and piercing attack could only meaningfully damage an armor user if they overcame the armor, piecing or cutting through the protection.

This is very clearly no longer the case.  If you turn your recruit into a little metal tortoise, decked out in full steel covering every inch of them, stick them in a room with 10 spears and pull the trigger, you will invariably suddenly see a spray of blood, get a scary looking combat report, and their wound screen will suddenly show several areas in the red.  Upon closer inspection, one sees that all the attacks are deflected, but they are still wrenching joints and jamming bones into things.  And the wound areas tend to be wrists, elbows, ankles and knees, although you will have an occasional unlucky dwarf that's spine is twisted or has a rib jammed through their heart, causing more than the normal degree of discomfort(though only very briefly).

In my mind, this change is good.  Danger rooms were silly, and the new system is certainly more realistic(though it along with the new bite mechanics ends up making certain large enemies far more frightening for even a well-established fortress than they were).  But I now find myself curious how this affects armor layering.

Tbh, I am uncertain exactly how armor layering handled deflections before.  I only know that wearing chain beneath your plate and a cloak(or 6) on top was generally useful at reducing the odds of being skewered in most cases.  More attacks deflected meant more attacks did no appreciable damage.  But now there's this case where attacks that are deflected still do damage, and I find myself curious if the extra layers impact this at all.  It feels like they -should-, as being smacked by a hammer if you are wearing padding under or over plate should be a more softened blow than if you just wore the metal directly against your skin(plus, it probably chafes less).  But as I am uncertain how combat really works('it's complicated' seems to be an understatement) under the hood, I don't really know, and most of the existing analysis I can dig up is from older versions.

So, in summary, I am curious if anyone knows whether layering armor is even worth it any more.  Whether it meaningfully adds any protection at all, particularly in the now all-too-frequent occurrence that your steel/candy armor deflects the hit but your arm is still wrenched free of it's socket.  And for that matter, if it does help, how much does it help by, since marginal benefit is probably not worth it considering the disadvantage of being weighed down.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New(ish) damage system and layering armor
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:45 pm »

That's odd, because I am using a danger room right this very minute and I have not seen any dwarves hurt. They are wearing standard "Metal Armor" uniform, which does not layer or replace civilian clothes, and they all have steel. Looking at the reports, it appears that even leather still fully deflects training spears.

Are you sure your dwarves had actually picked up and put on all their armor before you put them in the room? Did you accidentally use regular wooden spears and not training spears?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:34:58 am »

Are you on 43.04+, GhostDwemer? Since that's when the limb twisting was implemented.

In terms of realisticness imho the main problem with danger rooms - and all skills, really, making stone blocks on repeat anybody? - is how performing the same thing over and over endlessly improves skill in all sorts of situations that are completely different from original one, not how steel armor and padding can protect you from being hit with baseball bats.

(There's also the secondary problem of neither never wearing down, but that's implemented now too.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:38:46 am by Fleeting Frames »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 12:36:43 am »

Ah, no I'm on 43.03 still.  ::)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:52:54 am »

That's really interesting! I don't consider DF to be really worth playing until Therapist and dfhack catch up, so that will be a neat change to see in action when they do!

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:07:58 am »

I am curious if anyone knows whether layering armor is even worth it any more.

Why not do a little testing and statistics in the Test arena, where you can clad your combatants in whatever you like and let them fight whatever you like.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »

I find myself curious if the extra layers impact this at all.  It feels like they -should-, as being smacked by a hammer if you are wearing padding under or over plate should be a more softened blow than if you just wore the metal directly against your skin(plus, it probably chafes less).
IRL this was the way you wore your suit of full plate.

First you had a thick padded vest, then chainmail over the top, then all of your solid metal plates over the top of that.

It turns out that versus most medieval era weaponry steel plates are quite unstoppable, so your plate would stop most stabs/slices/arrows.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3qjUzUzQg <-- Here's a vid showing arrow vs. breastplate)

However the plates don't cover everything, there are gaps, the neck and armpits being most often vulnerable. Luckily chainmail is sturdy stuff and will protect you from a fair deal of arrows, swords and spears. And even if it doesn't stop it outright it forces them to waste momentum breaking through so hopefully it will get stuck in the padding underneath.

This leaves two major threats, crossbows and blunt force trauma. Crossbows have been reported to punch through plate, leading to them purportedly being banned because they threatened to level the playing field between peasants and rich armour clad lords.

The other issue is blunt force bludgeoning, which is the issue we have here. IRL you get hit with a sword, and your plate blocks the cut. But you're still being hit with a big metal club, and all that energy now hits you as blunt force, for this reason you have the padding to absorb and cushion the impact so every swing from your enemy doesn't end up cracking a rib. You'd probably still end up with some nasty bruises though.

Unfortunately for our dwarves df now understands this, and is applying the consequences thereof. I can't say if the exact numbers are correct but seeing as it is reported to happen most often to joints, I'd say it's most of the way but not quite. Introducing the ability to pad dwarves with underclothes would be a big step toward both realism and also the somewhat ridiculous consequences of the new system.

TLDR: IRL people wore padding under their armour, dwarves should be able to do this too.

Sorry for the ramble, love me some ancient/medieval combat chat  :P
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:45:51 am »

Heh.  Yeah, I know, that's why I said it that way, and specifically mentioned padding.  Getting smacked by a big chunk of metal still hurts even if you are wearing a big late of metal, and the padding softens the blow, and as you say, chain for the spaces in between the plates.

Though of note, along with crossbows, Welsh style longbows started being a threat in the 13th century, as they were quite capable of punching holes in plate.  Also, warhammers/maces could still be a concern, because although they usually couldn't punch through armor, they could pulverized the bone beneath it as the force was transmitted through.  A heavy blow to the hip could be a killing strike, even through armor.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:48:08 am by Iriswaters »