Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I thought the Dwarven Atom Smasher didn't work anymore?  (Read 1579 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I thought the Dwarven Atom Smasher didn't work anymore?
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

So, here's the thing. I'm set-up with a drawbridge across a moat, and I DON'T LIKE Hamlet Liasons. So I lowered the drawbridge, and made the door passable, because I had bisuness, but I saw the bastard before he got in. So I locked the door, leaving him standing on what will become a wall tile when the bridge draws up, and I PULLED THE LEVER.

I expected he'd go flying, or land in the moat, but in the unit list he says "Deceased", and I can't zoom to his corpse.

I think he got mashed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: I thought the Dwarven Atom Smasher didn't work anymore?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Yeah, it still works.  What made you think it didn't?  

Also, you have now made it impossible to ever request something specific from the caravan...  You only get one liaison.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

I read on the wiki that specific drawbridge behavior had been added to prevent it from killing the poor sod because people were using them as demon-mashers.

Also: Crap. Oh well. Xenophobia, yeah!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

Demons and mega-beasts break bridges when it slams down on top of them.
So, sorry about that.
You can still (Pull the lever/R) when the goblins siege, though
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

What if the demons are on TOP of the bridge and it's retracting, mashing them against a solid wall?

I didn't drop the bridge on someone, I mashed him between it and a wall.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

Something on top of a raising bridge just gets thrown into the air, possibly moving a few tiles (it doesn't fling them very far).  The most you can really hope for is to bump their heads on the ceiling and stun them.

Something on top of a retracting bridge will pull a Wile E. Coyote, falling onto whatever was below the bridge.  If that's floor, then it's pretty boring.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

But it was on the bridge. Maybe...

Maybe the Dwarven Atom Smasher still works, only instead of dropping bridges onto the demons, you have to squish them between two walls.

See, like this (I have no idea if this cheap ASCII is gonna work.)

W = Walls
D = Door (steel, and locked tight)
~ = water
G = natural ground

code:

WWWWDWWWW
WWWBBBWWW
~~~BBB~~~
~~~BBB~~~
~~~GGG~~~
GGGGGGGGG

This is the entrance to my, well, castle. The BBB is the drawbridge, it anchors on the three squares in front of the door. The wall is double-thick on the ground floor, steel-backed obsidian.

When I retract the bridge, it turns into this:

code:

WWWWDWWWW
WWW|||WWW
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~GGG~~~
GGGGGGGGG

The ||| is the wall the bridge formed when it raised up. There was nowhere for the things on the bridge to go; I checked the roof, they didn't end up there, I checked the moat, they didn't drown.

They got atom-smashed. Not because the bridge fell ONTO them, but because they were trapped between the bridge and a hard place when the lever was pulled. They're listed as deceased, but I can't find any corpses at all. They just, well, got atom-smashed.

I wonder if it will work on demons that way?

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: ShadowDragon8685 ]

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

I wonder if it is simply because they cant exist on top of a wall? (without going up a z-level of course)

You could experiment by making a series of strips of bridges only one tile wide, then linking them all to the same lever. Even though the bridges are one tile wide they can still rise (weirdly the graphic doesn't change).

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

2 tile wide corridor with 1 tile wide bridges retracting into a wall will yield the best results. They can't break when they hit somebody's head and still destroy things by wall slamming them.

Also, what happens if something is smashed ontop of open air? does the victim simply fall down or is it erased as well?

I also love the irony of a fantasy based ascii game community creating terms such as "antiflood generators" "quantum stockpiling" "atomsmashing"

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE