Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Floodgates block caravans?  (Read 1099 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will Floodgates block caravans?
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

I admit, I am an evil bastard.

My plan is simple: I build a trade depot inside closed walls with no access to my inner fortress. There is a 3x1 opening to the depot, made with floodgates; specifically, OPEN floodgates.

Traders check in, I PULL THE LEVER, and let the capitalist bastards starve to death. Then I just help myself. Will this work?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will Floodgates block caravans?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:53:00 am »

I'm sure it'd stop them from leaving, but starve to death? That could take years, assuming that NPCs even need to eat. Since you're using Floodgates you might as well just drown them  ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:58:00 am »

The traders will indeed starve, and in short order, but they will go insane and rip each other to shreds before they actually die from lack of nutrition.  The caravan animals will also go insane, but they don't need to eat.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

They'll go insane and tear each other apart, eh?
Perfect! A perfect sacrifice to Khorn-errr,-Armok!

Blood for the Blood God!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:04:00 am »

Really? Hmmmm... it appears that my underground Trade Depot may just be receiving some shiny new front doors...
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Really? Hmmmm... it appears that my underground Trade Depot may just be receiving some shiny new front doors...</STRONG>

That's what I'm gonna do later on, when I give a crap. Right now I just want to loot pillage and plunder.  :)

I'm gonna make the kind of trade depot that you wish you haden't come into. Probably gonna go down like, four or five Z-levels via a long, loong ramp with several plateaus on which siege weapons are mounted behind fortifications, and at the bottom will be a two-level open-tiered killing field of death, with marksdwarves able to rain boltastic death down upon any enemy who dareth venture in, and siege engines ready to launch massive bolts of mayhem through enemy ranks.

And of course, floodgates in case a caravan is REALLY annoying, so I can just make them go crazy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

I want to see the results of Ballista Bolt vs. Wagon, 2008.

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »

Rather than starving out the traders or letting them go insane, have a lever connected to a support that keeps up the trade depot and the floor above. Pull said lever and have the trader pit themselves against goblins, spike traps, pressure plates that release magma, and all sorts of fun things.

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anonemoose:
<STRONG>Rather than starving out the traders or letting them go insane, have a lever connected to a support that keeps up the trade depot and the floor above. Pull said lever and have the trader pit themselves against goblins, spike traps, pressure plates that release magma, and all sorts of fun things.</STRONG>

I want to see this in action. Get to work! =P

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

I turned off cave-ins, because I am of the opinion that, short of catastrophic cataclysmic events, like earthquakes and magery, dwarven tunnels/constructions Do Not Collapse.

Of course, this does mean it's pretty hard to make something that will collapse intentionally, though...

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon8685:
<STRONG>I turned off cave-ins, because I am of the opinion that, short of catastrophic cataclysmic events, like earthquakes and magery, dwarven tunnels/constructions Do Not Collapse.

Of course, this does mean it's pretty hard to make something that will collapse intentionally, though...</STRONG>

Um, question... I waited until the traders went insane, they didn't seem to be starving, and the elves had come, so I opened the depot and let them out - they left a nice corpse and a pile of loot, so I guess they must've dropped some stuff.

Then the goblins who showed up killed the elves, and took shelter in the trade depot from the ballasta bolts that were flying their way. Of course, I PULLED THE LEVER.

Now I have four goblins in the trade depot, on top of which I'm building a watchtower. (They're isolated from the fortress. Clever walling GET!)

Will the goblins die of thirst/go insane and start killing each other, or will I have to raise a military to kill them? Currently I'm figuring on just raising a force of marksdwarves, stationing them on top of the tower with crossbows and letting them train up for awhile, then I pull the lever, let the gobbos leave, and get shot down like the dogs they are.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

Eventually my fortress(in its second year I believe,only one dead so far)Ima-gonna go for a trading post in a pool,pull a leaver and everything gets drowned,clean and efficient.Of course I can just watch the madness first :P

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 04:30:00 am »

I wonder if Toady One ever anticipated exactly how tradercidal his players would be?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 04:42:00 am »

And that is another comment that needs to be put in the wiki.  :p