Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultural Clothing Differences!  (Read 901 times)

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cultural Clothing Differences!
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:18:13 pm »

I don't know if this is just new to me or if it's an update from old, but I just paid attention to clothing and found that in a previous fortress, the civilization of a tropical savanna made togas, skirts, and shirts but no trousers or coats. Then, in a new fort from a different civilization, which was one from a frozen biome, permitted only dresses, robes, coats, and cloaks for top cover. I'm not complaining, I think this is awesome, and possibly opens up ways to further differentiate civilizations

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cultural Clothing Differences!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:05 am »

Upper body garment availability differs between embarks (or more likely, civs, but I haven't yet made multiple embarks in the same world). Also, the fortress is sometimes unable to make high boots, forcing you to make do with low boots.
This civ difference has been present at least since 0.40.X.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 01:36:39 am »

If you go into the raws you can find a file called entity_default.txt

In there, there are tokens for various clothings. They start with ARMOR, HELM, GLOVES, SHOES or PANTS.

At the end on most it says COMMON. This means the civ will most likely have this item, but occasionally will not. Like PatrikLundell has mentioned, sometimes Dwarves will not have High Boots, that's because they are COMMON but not FORCED, so there is a chance you won't get them.

AFAIK they aren't chosen by the weather conditions of the civ, so you getting certain clothes that seem to match the surroundings is probably a coincidence.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:47:43 am »

At the end on most it says COMMON. This means the civ will most likely have this item, but occasionally will not. Like PatrikLundell has mentioned, sometimes Dwarves will not have High Boots, that's because they are COMMON but not FORCED, so there is a chance you won't get them..

I would be very annoying to not be able to make High Boots, it would mess up my armour patterns. What would you have to do to make sure dwarfs always have them?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:11:59 am »

Change the COMMON to FORCED on high boots in the raw, I'm guessing from that post.

There's still low boots tho, which still cover whole upper+lower body with leather armor+boots. But it'd mess with any macros you have, I'm guessing.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 08:18:54 pm »

Yes, just change COMMON to FORCED in the raws.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite