Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: housing strategies  (Read 835 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
housing strategies
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:01:00 am »

So, people..

Over the course of many games, I've developed a system for housing the dwarves.
Before the economy starts, I do not designate a single bed as a room (except for nobles). I do lay out lot and lots (around 200) of 1x5 rooms with a bed, cabinet and coffer. 50 rooms are left at that. 50 rooms have the walls smoothed, 50 get full smoothing. The last 50 are smoothed and have their floor tiles engraved as well. 10x 1 engraving, 10x 2 engravings, ... , and 10x 5 engravings. Also, I build some bunk  rooms, with 4 beds in one room (and a layout that allows for the room blueprints to overlap, but gives each bed its own cabinet and coffer in non-overlapping space)
And I always place my first few beds in the barracks.
For extra price variation, I toy around with cabinets, -cabinets-, coffers, -coffers-, beds and -beds-. No +beds+ or better, or there will be trouble with nobles being upset over a lessers pretentious... ah, well, you know the drill.
Then, when the economy starts, first thing I do is designate enough bedrooms for all legendary dwarves, and assign those to them. If they have partners, I make it a priority to get them to legendary as well. Mining skill works pretty fast for this. If I do not do so, their room will soon overflow with coins. (With a non-legendary partner earning money and not having to pay rent)

After that is done, I designate rooms from the 10 beds in the most expensive setting. (5x engraved). There will probably no dwarf that can afford those, but you never know. So I wait a year. One reason is, that at the beginning of the economy, dwarves do not have money. They'll have to earn it first. Apart from that, it takes some time for a dwarf to occupy a room.

Then, I proceed to repeat this procedure for the next 10 most expensive rooms.
Now I only wait half a season for occupation before moving to the next steps.

Repeat until all beds are designated as rooms. Bunk beds last. (overlapping rooms reduces value to 1/4)
I always keep 5-10 free bed in my barracks for the wounded. Soldiers are set to sleep in their rooms.

This way, I've eliminated the problem of rich-bastard-dwarves occupying cheap rooms meant for the peasants. Almost no evictions as well.

Easy way to keep track from here if your dwarves live in too cheap a room: their coffer will fill with coins. When it is full, it is easy to spot loose coins in the living quarters. What I do then is give the dwarf another coffer to store coins (raising the rent also by it's value) and/or apply smoothing to one tile if not already there. I don't engrave. A masterpiece engraving would raise rent way too much

When all your dwarves are housed, kill as many children as possible and drown your champion's favourite dog while crushing the mayor (who has many friends) under a drawbridge. Watch the tantrum spiral and be strengthened in your belief that utopia does not exist.

With this setup, I've never had any troubles caused by the economy.
How do you go about providing housing for your dwarves before and after the economy?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: housing strategies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Behold, for it doth save on doors!

Paul Gross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

If you are looking for some cheap ghetto housing, look no further:
code:

#####
#BCB#
#TCT#
##D##

# - wall
B - Bed
C - Coffer
T - Cabinet

Share each room with 2 people, which takes the total room value down by 50% (2x furniture, 1/4x room price due to dual use).  No smoothing, no engraving, no masterpieces in the bedroom, etc.

Its basically a college dorm room, but bigger.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Elitay:
<STRONG>Behold, for it doth save on doors!

</STRONG>

I never use doors for living quarters. Not until Toady One implements inter-dwarven crimes.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Gross:
<STRONG>If you are looking for some cheap ghetto housing, look no further:
code:

#####
#BCB#
#TCT#
##D##

# - wall
B - Bed
C - Coffer
T - Cabinet

Share each room with 2 people, which takes the total room value down by 50% (2x furniture, 1/4x room price due to dual use).  No smoothing, no engraving, no masterpieces in the bedroom, etc.

Its basically a college dorm room, but bigger.</STRONG>

I never tried that, because I fear this will lead to one dwarf owning two cabinets and the other one none.
Does it work? Is the furniture distributed evenly?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

I've been mostly creating organic rooms, with just a little variation from place to place to make Adventuring there interesting. Of course, the rooms are ridiculously priced, so zero rent is on. I find I enjoy having all the natural-looking rooms more than having normal economy. That said, I haven't had economy on for a while anyway, but I'm getting there. I gotta say, I have played this game for more than a year, and I still haven't finished it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>I never use doors for living quarters. Not until Toady One implements inter-dwarven crimes.</STRONG>
With no door, how do you lock them in when they go berzerk over lack of care on a minor injury?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

I don't. They die.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 01:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>I don't. They die.</STRONG>

Ba-dum-dumsh

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Slinkyfest ]

GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:02:00 am »

Here's what I've done - I based it on a "living pods" thing I found on the Wiki, but I expanded it because I like giving my dwarves larger rooms, and I enabled subsidised housing into perpetuity (IE, I turned off rent)

# = Wall
X = Up/Down Stairway
D = D

code:

##########################
#    #    #    #    #    #
#   D#D   #   D#D   #    #
#####X#########X#####    #
#   D##   #   D##  ##D   #
#    #    #    #   #X#   #
#    #    #    #   #X#####
#   ##D   #   ##D  ##D   #
#####X#########X#####    #
#   D#D   #   D#D   #    #
##########################

Yes, I realize it's not the most efficient - especially with the twin-staircase where only one would be needed, strictly speaking, but the design was dictated by my fumbling the 'foyer' on the first floor. It was dictated by the design of the rooms on the foyer. It's not perectly symmetrical, and you can of course always change which rooms have access to which staircases on different floors. On the whole, I think it's an attractive, offbeat thing, with room to "Add on" to individual rooms if, say, you get a mated pair with child or children. It can be readily extended to any Z-depth or even Z-height if you're that fanatical about placing flooring and walling.