Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading in bones  (Read 657 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading in bones
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

So I've had my dwarven traders asking recently for bone goods; mostly scepters, occasionally another craft. They're often offering 150%+ value (I've seen as high as 186%).

Problem 1) The wiki pages on item value says that bone - all bone - is a waste product, and thus has a base value of 0. So no matter what I make out of it, it's always going to be 0 (x*0 = 0).. unless there's some other math going on.

Problem 2) IRC folk mentioned that some bones - dragon, elephant, and other exotic beasties - actually have bone that IS worth something.

So the question is: which animals have bones that have at least base value 1?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Trading in bones
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

Bone, in and of itself, is worthless.  However, bone made into crafts and such is most certainly valued, which is then affected by the skill of the bonecrafter.

I'm not sure if rarer beasts have more expensive bones, but standard critters will give bones that provide value multipliers of regular stone.  Larger creatures such as dragons and elephants provide more bones, which can then be made into a larger stack of bone bolts (a dragon can potentially give you a stack of 100 bone bolts, or maybe even more).

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

The value of of the bone material is equal to the value modifier of the related creature. Dragon bones are worth more than dog bones.

The reason bones are worth 0 is because the uncrafted bones and skull items have a value of 0 and 6(material modifier for dog bone)*1(no quality modifier)*0(item modifier)=0(raw bones value.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

Read the wiki carefully and you'll see that once a material becomes an item new value rules apply.

Bone is worthless, but once it becomes an item it no longer sells as bone but as an item that happens to be made from bone.  The bone material multiplier is non-zero, even though raw, unworked bone is worthless.

AFAIK there are no materials which can be worked into items of 0 value, although it might be tough finding buyers with enough transport capacity to sell them lead statues.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

I just sold a stack of 26 *Dragon Bone Bolts* for 5200, enough for a nice set of steel plate.

Wronghorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

I have a legendary bonecrafter that churns out ridiculous piles of masterwork bone crafts.  Generally I can send ~25000 worth of crafts out every time a caravan comes around.