Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Resurrecting a dead civ?  (Read 4015 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting a dead civ?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »

fill candy minecarts with candy items, then haul minecarts in a loop.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »

Retired a fort once after a weretortoise attack and the man who got bit migrated to my new fortress. Upon arrival to the dining hall he transformed and wiped out most of my fort, infecting his former wife and two sons before being beaten down by his cousin.

:( :( :(

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 01:24:42 am »

fill candy minecarts with candy items, then haul minecarts in a loop.
1. Store all items in your fortress in a minecart. (you can fit 1000 adamantine strands, but only 5 rocks inside one.)
2. Store all those minecarts in a minecart. (each minecart fits 12)
3. Repeat 2 till you have 1 minecart.
4. Make dwarf drag the minecart from 1 corner of embark to another.
5. Retire.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:36 am »

Dwarves are truely master engineers. They can make a minecart that can hold/carry 12 exact copies of that minecart.

Also, think of how long it would take for that one minecart to be dragged one tile, or how long it would take for it to be fully unloaded. Assuming of course what you said actually works the way you stated.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:42:19 am »

Candy is super light, so it should be fine.

One problem with that FF, is migrants coming from a retired fort is random, so either spread to 12 dwarf each with a minecart full of candy, or have accident to reduce pop to 12, then retire while each survivor is a miner with candy pickaxe and hauling a candy minecart full of candy. :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 09:45:37 am »

Loading and getting all stuff in fortress into one place would be the weight problem there, kingsableye.

Once dwarf comes off the edge of the map with the cart, get them to drop it and transport with wheelbarrows or pushing the cart. Then unloading can be done via sequential track stops (a minecart dumped on a track stop by minecart will unload it's contents just as well as if dwarf did it - have used this to transport 120 logs at a time).

Unfortunately, dwarves will not store minecarts assigned to a route in a minecart, thus preventing one from making automated nested hauling systems :(

And yeah Sanctume, it's all your eggs in one neutronium basket.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 10:07:42 am »

Looking back at the original issue of ressurecting a dead civ.
It's 7 starting dwarfs plus 2 migrant waves, all coming from void dwarves in the first fort, except are there really been read dead civs that is embarkable?
I would cheese it giving the first 7 miner+5, and several key jobs: doctor, appraiser, and spread Teacher / Student, some with Armor User/Dodger/Discipline, some with weaponsmithing. 
With enough booze and food to last a season, I would spend the time digging to get them all to legendary miner level.
I find iron and/or steel, make some pickaxe, have them be equipped then retire.   

Then create a new fort (or reclaim).  I'm sure some of those better miners will come in a migration wave.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 10:26:48 am »

Actual dead civs, no migrants other than first two? Yeah, sure.
vjek has one
PatrickLundall has another(slightly modded) one

I kinda agree on that idea of action to focus on skills to transfer. Though maybe not spend half of them into miner; it might be better to put them towards hard-to-skill disciplines and then have your second embark team pick some easier useful skills.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 11:06:27 am »

And don't forget to abort the first embark if the first 7 do not have at least 3 sets of genders willing to marry.
This is a non-cheaty, but cheesy way to get dwarf who will help re-populate the dead civ. 

I did find this tedious to do it this way, so I actually used DFTools (works with 43.03 LNP).
I find a nice balance of 16 dwarf embarks, 8 pairs at Friendship relations.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:34 am »

I think you need just 2 pairs, though?

However, given that you're not guaranteed to have them immigrate, maybe save the resetting for the second embark.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 12:20:35 pm »

2 pairs yeah, but couples marry within 10 years of age.   

The starting 7's ages can vary quite a bit

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:37 pm »

Cancelling and retrying until you've got 3+4 dorfs gender wise and none of them displaying any signs of marrying/relation problems is what I've done with 0.43.05. Yes, there's an age spread, but you ought to get at least 4 additional dorfs total in the two waves that ought to plug at least some hole.
I've seen it said in the past that cousins can marry, but I'll remain skeptical until someone comes along to say they've actually seen it. The reason for my skepticism is that cousins show up in the relation part of the list, and not of the social relation one (would lover state be displayed, or would it be hidden?). IF, however, the rule is that only siblings are off limits, uncles and aunts should be valid too, given that dorfs have a rather longer child production span than humans, so they can easily be within the age range. Thus, I'd like to get a minimum of 3 breeding pairs.
Pages: 1 [2]