Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this new to 38a?  (Read 807 times)

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this new to 38a?
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

One of my dwarves was out hunting in the field.  As he climbed a hill up to the next z-level, I received the following message, "Ambush!"  There were suddenly six goblins (lashers, speargoblins, etc...) right next to him.  They killed him and preceded to attack my fortress, where they were slaughtered by my marksdwarves and the visiting dwarven merchant guards.

I've had sieges before, but never seen an ambush until today.  My population is only 22 or so, and I have little wealth, so it definitely wasn't a typical siege.  Are ambushes a new feature?

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: RogerN ]

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
Re: Is this new to 38a?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

Maybe, I only ever heard of kobold ambushes before.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

I believe they are.  There is a similar thread in a different section.  I have a fort that is in 1069 right now, with a population of around 35.  I never had any real visits from goblins except for snatchers.

And now I get ambushes REALLY REALLY frequently.  Not prepared for them either.  But its a helluva lotta fun!   :D

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

I started a fortress near goblin fortress - they are sitting there quietly, but kobolds keep ambushing in the middle of my fortress - I've slain them all obviously - also free metal from their daggers :D
tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

Kobold ambushes suck. Six bowmen spawned out of nowhere and killed my farmer, and also 8 puppies/dogs before the rest were suffocated by the sheer number of them. I've only got 4 of the original seven now. (Two were killed by a cougar)

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

More challenging :D
tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

yes, i had this just 5 min after the start... but it was only 1 kobold thief (it said ambush, not thief... minor bug?), and the dwarf near it was the woodcutter... well, not really a hard ambush... it left me some kobold bones to play with

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

quote:
Kobold ambushes suck.

Indeed.  I just had a group of kobold archers march across the map.  They shot and killed everyone who was outside before leaving.  Thanks to kobolds, goblin ambushes, harpies, packs of beak dogs, and crocodiles I've managed to fill about 40 coffins in two years.  I've had to start my military from scratch... three times now.

And it's one of the most fun games of DF that I've had in a while  :)

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I once had a group of kolbold bowmen show up, and proceed to slaughter ever single kobold theif on the map, before returning home and leaving every dwarf unharmed.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sularus:
<STRONG>I once had a group of kolbold bowmen show up, and proceed to slaughter ever single kobold theif on the map, before returning home and leaving every dwarf unharmed.</STRONG>

Sure, it was an ambush- but they never said they were ambushing you.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster:
<STRONG>Sure, it was an ambush- but they never said they were ambushing you.</STRONG>

Nice.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

I seem to get kobold ambushers every single time theres a caravan in town. Mostly singles, which are subsequently slaughtered by caravan guards, tethered war dogs, and patrols.. Supposedly, you used to get the bigger ambushes if the thieves got away with loot and word got around in koboldville

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

On my map, I got an "Ambush!", I zoomed to it, happened that a Giant Cave Spider, who was seperated fromt he rest of the map, was ambushed by dozens of Swallowmen. The swallowmen lost. The plateau the spider is on is now running with blood.