Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Efficient housing blocks anyone?  (Read 1771 times)

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient housing blocks anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:41:00 pm »

Do I have to evict the wealthier dwarfs to make them find better housing (more expensive so I get my money back  :)) ?

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

Hm... I always make my Rooms 7 squares in size - a 3x2 room + a Door. Is this too big? It looks nicer, but it takes up a lot of space. I kind of feel bad about jamming my dwarves into these 2x1 cupboards that other people seem to like making.

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 05:54:00 pm »

I use (ex. door) 3x1, 2x3, 3x3, 3x4, 4x4.
The last are bigger than some nobles quarters.
The only eviction messages I've seen is when a child took the duchess room 6x9 with lots of masterwork items after she died, he couldnt affort it   :)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 06:00:00 pm »

Most of my bed rooms are 3*3, and it doesn't seem to be too much of a drain.  Hauling the furniture (bed, coffer, cabinet and door) takes longer than digging out the rooms, and the furniture takes just as long to haul to tiny rooms as it does to larger rooms.  And you /need/ that furniture.  Without a cabinet and coffer, after 5 or 6 years you'll have personal possessions scattered everywhere, all over the fortress, and the dwarves that own them will never ever come to pick them up, because they have nowhere to put them.  In the long run a private bedroom with no storage isn't much better than a communal barracks.

Personally, I prefer to leave dwarfs sleeping in barracks for a little while to putting them in individual closets.  3*3 rooms really don't take that much longer to build and furnish than 1*3 rooms.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »

Why would you want them to pick up their stuff?

"Store owned item"?!  Quit goldbricking!  Next thing I know you'll want to Check Chest.  And no, you may not Attend Party!  Get back to work!

Wuggles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

Agreed.  I never make meeting halls, zoos, statue gardens, or anything of the kind for that exact reason.  Why give them an excuse to laze about?  My dwarves are always ecstatic without 'em.

I've used the bedroom layout described in the first post for months and months; I don't see any reason to make the bedrooms bigger.  With a Legendary Engraver (which you can have quite easily by the middle of the second year), those little teeny bedrooms with a bed/coffer/chest are already too expensive for the average dwarf.  Why go bigger than that?  Whenever my economy got started, 80% would immediately get evicted due to the engravings on the walls.

Lately I build with a ratio of 3 housing blocks without smoothing, 1 block with smoothed stone, and 1 block with engravings (i.e., 36 beds of cheap housing, 12 beds of average housing, and 12 beds of good housing).

Coddling your dwarves with anything larger is madness!  Particularly when the mason/carpenter are both Legendary, and all the furniture is perfect or near-perfect.  A lowly stone-lugger can't afford a 9-space room with a masterpiece bed, coffer, and chest.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 09:58:00 pm »

I make blocks of 10 bedrooms for non-nobles. They stack together quite well:

code:

Stage 1

#############
#...........#
#.#########.#
#.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#
#.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#
#.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#
#.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#
#.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#
#...........#
#############

Stage 2

#######################
#.....................#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.....................#
#######################

Stage 3

#######################
#.....................#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.....................#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.+...#...+.+...#...+.#
#.#########.#########.#
#.....................#
#######################

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 01:01:00 am »

hmm I have been experimenting with this with other fortresses and all. I have tried using 2v2 and 2v3 only. The 1v3 didn't really seem right to me. You gots to climb over the furniture to get to your bed. With a 2v4 you only need to climb on your bed and that is suppose to be climbed over.
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

I go with a "Firecracker" string setup of 2X2 rooms.  It's not the most efficient but it looks nice and is easy to control/manage.

Example:
*-Rock
.-Floor
D-Door
B-Bed

code:

HALLWAY
****D****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****.****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****.****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****D****
HALLWAY

Great control if a flood or attack breaks out, just lock the 2 main door and seal any sleeping or resting civvies inside.

Retro

[ December 09, 2006: Message edited by: Retro42 ]

[ December 09, 2006: Message edited by: Retro42 ]

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 03:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Retro42:
<STRONG>I go with a "Firecracker" string setup of 2X2 rooms.  It's not the most efficient but it looks nice and is easy to control/manage.

Example:
*-Rock
.-Floor
D-Door
B-Bed

code:

HALLWAY
****D****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****.****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****.****
*.B*.D..*
*..D.*B.*
****D****
HALLWAY

Great control if a flood or attack breaks out, just lock the 2 main door and seal any sleeping or resting civvies inside.

Retro</STRONG>

This is how I have taken to making my bedrooms, 'cept I like to make the corridors two squares thick. MY housing blocked tend to be fairly long, so they get jammed up if the corridor is only one thick.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »

The problem I've had is that rooms any bigger than 1x3 (if they have bed, coffer, cabinet) tend to trigger unhappy thoughts in nobles as they are too good for underlings and end up hell of expensive once the economy gets going.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 11:23:00 pm »

I've never seen the problem with forcing dwarves to climb over their furniture to get to their beds.  Nobles get personal space.  Peons get what they're given and there's no use whining about it.  I only give them three spaces at all so there's room to own stuff at all.
Pages: 1 [2]