Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there an ETA on when we can send armies in fortress mode?  (Read 1081 times)

VelcroMagnet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is there an ETA on when we can send armies in fortress mode?
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »

So I was wondering if thats in the near future the ability to send and interact with overland armies and mayb even capture territories

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an ETA on when we can send armies in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:15:46 pm »

No.

The very first baby steps towards making that possible will be in the upcoming artifact release (no eta, still a while yet probably). You'll be able to send out squads to recover stolen artifacts.

Actual armies still need more infrastructure. You'll be hiring from the surrounding populations of hill dwarves and deep dwarves when that eventually gets implemented.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:14:25 am »

My guess is 5+ years minimum.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:12:26 am »

No one, perhaps not even Toady One Himself, really knows with any great deal of certainty.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »

I give it two years, tops.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 01:06:07 am »

I give it two years, tops.
Two years from now I expect we'll still be in myths. Possibly the post release bug fixing/improvements stage, but not much further than that. Maybe there's something about the mythgen release warrants time invested in armies, but it's not very obvious.

juggalog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:57:21 am »

Does anyone think that artifact update is coming this year?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:36:34 am »

well its one guy making a very complicated game and a lot of stuff has to be reworked every update, so i find it doubtful.
i mean maybe if today convinced his brother to help with the coding it would go a lot faster, but then again it might slow it down because they would have to coordinate with each other
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:59:03 am »

well its one guy making a very complicated game and a lot of stuff has to be reworked every update, so i find it doubtful.
i mean maybe if today convinced his brother to help with the coding it would go a lot faster, but then again it might slow it down because they would have to coordinate with each other
I think it depends on how large a chunk the next release would contain. If all points are to be addressed, at least framework wise, before the next release, it's rather doubtful, but if the release is limited to "Improvements to Artifacts (pre-magic)" from the dev page I think there's a fair chance. A December release would also fit nicely into a yearly major step schedule (subject to tangents, snags, etc, of course).

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »

I find it questionable if the game could add whole other layers like additional conquered territories when each game even with small embark and pop size caps quickly drops below 20 FPS. I just think it can't handle it. This game could be the best game of all time if it was just based on a solid multithreaded engine that could handle all the processing it requires. That is probably too much for toady alone though so I have no real hope of the game largely increasing its scope.

The only way it could be done is on an abstract layer maybe where you cant really see the other territories and the fight and whats going on except on a macro worldmap.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »

I find it questionable if the game could add whole other layers like additional conquered territories when each game even with small embark and pop size caps quickly drops below 20 FPS. I just think it can't handle it. This game could be the best game of all time if it was just based on a solid multithreaded engine that could handle all the processing it requires. That is probably too much for toady alone though so I have no real hope of the game largely increasing its scope.

The only way it could be done is on an abstract layer maybe where you cant really see the other territories and the fight and whats going on except on a macro worldmap.
The world already exists and is being conquered by everyone else right now while you're playing. Sending out one extra dwarf army into the activated world won't have much of, if any, impact on a fortress location's fps.

Edit -- You're never going to have to run a fortress and watch a far off battle (by magic??) at the same time. The most you'll have is reports and rumours with a map showing you what's going on (all of which is already going on in the background in the current version).

Fortress fps is a fortress site issue. Retire and go elsewhere, fps is magically restored. In other words, leave with your army to command them (or lead the charge, whatever you like) and you'll not be at your fortress. It's two seperate locations, the fps of one doesn't effect the other.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:44:14 pm by Shonai_Dweller »