Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no invasions, raids, etc?  (Read 1360 times)

Meddadog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no invasions, raids, etc?
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:49:25 pm »

I am almost 2 years in to my fortress and have not had a single invader, siege, kidnapper, etc. I am using default LNP, axcept a pop cap 75, and a tileset. do invaders just sometimes take a few years to mount? ive made 3 or 4 artifacts already. or can anyone think of why i wouldnt be getting any? maybe a lnp setting?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no invasions, raids, etc?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:14 pm »

Invaders invade after population 80 on vanilla settings. You will never get any (except the occasional bugged 'fake siege' where a couple of goblins turn up on some unknown mission then leave).

You can edit entity_defaults.txt to change the siege triggers (works mid-game, no need to generate a new world). Find the goblins (entity Evil) change their siege trigger to 2 or 1. There are also triggers for wealth and such (set to 0 as default, meaning wealth won't effect invasions).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:10:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Meddadog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:16:48 pm »

ahhh, good to know. I read a lot of succession stories and they sounded much more dangerous than ive encountered. well, need to either up the pop cap, and get more migrants, or try to alter that setting you mentioned in the file.

thank you

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »

No problem. I forget most of the exact numbers, but setting 1 will allow sieges after population 20, which is pretty Fun. The undead will also turn up regardless of population/wealth So embarking near a tower can be interesting.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:50:08 am »

ahhh, good to know. I read a lot of succession stories and they sounded much more dangerous than ive encountered. well, need to either up the pop cap, and get more migrants, or try to alter that setting you mentioned in the file.

thank you

80 is definitely the magic number not just for sieges but also for fun stuff like titans. Having said this, location has a massive impact on the sort of threats or lack there of a fortress will face. If you embark in a remote valley half a continent away from the nearest goblin or necromancer threat in serene temperate grasslands you will have a radically different experience than if you embark in a terrifying glacial embark with husking clouds and half a dozen goblin dark fortresses and necromancer towers as neighbors. In the former the worst you will likely ever encounter on the surface will be the occasional lycanthrope or mega beast. In the later you could have your entire embark party killed within moments by undead polar bears or have all your dwarfs consumed by a husking clouds before you can even dig yourself a hole to cower in.

If you want a pretty middle of road experience as far as danger and challenge goes then I recommend something like a high savagery non-evil biome with some large goblin population centers near by and maybe a necromancer tower if you are feeling brave. The most dangerous embarks tend to be evil biomes with a reanimation effect and or sever forms of evil weather like evil clouds that husk or rain that will cause fun syndromes like making your dwarves' eyes or brains blister. You can sometimes luck out with even evil embarks and end up with nothing worse than some blood rain and the occasional undead wildlife.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:03:51 am by Melting Sky »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:45:48 am »

Note that if you change the siege trigger mid game, you have to change the copy inside the save, not the general one.
A siege pop trigger value of 2 means a pop of 50. It's also possible to change the titan trigger downwards. I don't know if that can be done in an existing world, though, as it's a world gen parameter.

It can also be noted that the number of goblin sites around you is irrelevant, as the important thing is that the closest one (AFTER the two week embark reclamation, war, and settlement frenzy) is a healthy one with a sufficient population, rather than a puny 50 pop outpost that will run out of siegers very quickly. Currently DF doesn't know how to recruit attackers from sites other than the one the attack comes from. All goblin sieges are sent from the same site (and can continue to be sent even if the original goblin siege doesn't control the site anymore...).