Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves with good taste  (Read 1413 times)

gwenbasil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
dwarves with good taste
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

So I've got a pretty peaceful map, and am pre-gaming my king, building what will be his throne room/palace set up when he arrives.

I've got a lovely engraved room with a tame elk and leopard tied up in it, and platinum and electrum thrones, among other sundries...

Thing is, the platinum throne is growing quite the pile of crap on it, as dwarves come in, sit down with their plump helmet or whatever, munch away, and leave.

>.< What draws them away from the designated Joe Dwarf eating digs? Those are pretty nice too. Do just the ones with a fondness for Platinum thrones come by?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves with good taste
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

In my experience, dwarves pick the 'nearest' (even through z-levels) free chair to them when they start the Eat job. I don't know about their seating preferences, though.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

Note that once you assign the chair, they will stop using it to eat at so they won't be eating in the king's dining room while he's there. If you don't want them eating there till then, lock the doors or assign the chair to your mayor or something.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

or unbuild the throne until he shows up.  or forbid the traffic area.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

Changing pathing cost has no effect whatsoever on what dwarves do or where they go. Designating the area around the throne as "restricted" will neither prevent nor even discourage dwarves from using it. Pathing costs are used to direct dwarves that are going somewhere else around some area (i.e., a farm or the ballista firing range), not to decide where they go or what they do.

To solve your problem, you could try forbidding the throne ([t]->select throne->[f]orbid the throne) or deconstructing it and forbidding the throne item.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

I've noticed that dwarves prefer to eat in designated rooms over undesignated ones, regardless of how nice the undesignated ones are and how cruddy the designated ones are. Hell, the first fortress I had that wasn't a total failure, I'd dug some 3x3 rooms out of the sand for nobles' offices, and any time I put a chair and table down in one and made a room out of it, it was pretty much constantly in use from dwarves who didn't want to use my large, smoothed and engraved dining room with statues lining the walls (and plenty of spare chairs and tables).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels