Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Writing Down Everything  (Read 450 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Writing Down Everything
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:13:02 am »

I got this idea, from all places, the Twilight !Rationalist! Fanfic "Luminosity" ( which is really really enjoyable, this particular flavour of fanfic is right up my overly-idealised-intellectual alley ).  Simply put, it's a mental exercise where I just write down in a little notepad anything that goes through my head.

I've tried journals before, but the preconceived notion of required structure always seemed stifling.  Here I'm just doing random stream of thought type entries, and it's SO RELAXING.  It's also really revealing of my character.  The entire point of this exercise is to externalise the bajillion thoughts circulating in my head, and an unspecified amount of time later, read back on them and try and understand what gibbering mind wrote down this crap.  What I've found is that I'm not a naturally analytical person.  My thoughts are very emotive, dealing with reactions to things, rather than the things themselves.  Most of my writing is just personal affirmations reminding myself to keep a certain attitude, as well as sincere attempts at honest self-expression.

Does anyone else do this?  It's genuinely a great way to relieve stress, and practice your observational skills.  Since none of us have a Sherlock Holmes brain ( and if you do why haven't you conquered the world yet ) having an external storage space for raw data that doesn't need an internet connection or a lot of space beyond your pocket just frees up so many possibilities.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Down Everything
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:04:01 am »

Well, I do have this thing... In fact I call it a kind of disease. Mine does express itself with different symptoms, or maybe it's just another thing. I write my progress in everything, everyday. I like to "see" my impact in that day, that will never repeat again. It's not emotional stuff, just analytical things like: 3 out of 20 in an anime show or it will take 20 days in this pace to finish this book or I should work on my thesis for now on at least 45 min a day or endless lists of things I need to do / I want to do / I give up doing / I'll do eventually / I want to read or watch.

In fact I admire your attempts at honest self-expression, I would like to that as well, particularly when I'm overwhelmed with so many progress-meters. So my thing is not as relaxing as yours.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:56 pm »

PTW for interesting stuff.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »

That's called a "journal". The real fun will begin once the wrong person finds it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.