Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need Honest Help  (Read 1191 times)

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
I need Honest Help
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:18 pm »

Thank you all for your support.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:31:29 pm by Amber Wolf »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: I need Honest Help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:58:23 pm »

What country do you live in? It might help to know, so people can think of the relevant laws.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:22 pm »

USA, NM

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:11:56 am »

This is really troubling. I personally don't think I can provide useful advice, but I hope strongly that your situation improves.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:19:32 am »

For the child's sake, get professional councelling. Insecurity and anxiety issues are really bad for an infant's development, not to mention adolescent parent drama.
Get professional councelling for the guy as well. If he refuses, dump him, and if he tries vandalizing your parents house, let him do so, then call the police. Maybe a few months jail time will help him think over his life.

Or find the nearest woman's shelter and get admitted there. Be prepared to have to break contact with everyone for the time you're going to be there. That includes parents and any bffs you might have.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:22:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:12:59 pm »

I hate these kind of people who are physically violent. It is often because they experienced and suffered violence themselves.
In some form or another, people suffer abuse, physically, mentally or spiritually. What we can do is to not perpetuate the cycle, but to end it.

The truth is, you have some form of power over him, or he feels powerless, and he hates it. No one likes to feel trapped.
Still, the fact that he's around seems to indicate he feels some sense of duty, even if he feels unable to confront it directly due to lack of self-belief.

That he spends time and attention harassing you shows that he thinks of you as a part of his life, for good or bad, and that he can't or won't escape from you.
In a weird way, it's a way of confronting his problems and a form of commitment for him, and a form of 'faithfulness' to show up routinely and wait for hours (although I don't know if he is strictly monogamous)

As a male, he probably suffers from a need to 'mark his territory' and 'earn respect' from you and your family, and that's probably all he wants. He wants to be acknowledged, even though he has problems acknowledging his own role (probably because no one believed in him).
If you deny his role and place in your life, you would crush his self-esteem/manhood. It is difficult to take the role of fatherhood, when everyone is putting you down (or when you put yourself down) because it is a formative event in a man's life.

Almost certainly he suffers from an identity crisis as to the point of his existence with regard to the babies life (is there a point in me being around? am I a good/trustworthy partner? will the baby love/care for me? will I love the child? am I good/strong/tough enough? can I handle this? will my future be with this girl and baby? will I have a 'proper' relationship with this girl and my child? can I make up for the past? is there a point to, or should I just smoke weed?)

Smoking bud is probably a form of escapism because he doesn't feel capable of taking such an arduous/demanding role.
It is a form of escapism and a way to avoid our problems. But in other ways, much like alcohol, it gives a feeling of relief. The abuse of it is probably the worst thing, not the actual weed-smoking itself. It will stop naturally once he fills his life with other things more important.
He probably doubts many things, but almost certainly all to do with his own worth/value/goodness/strength/toughness. It is a shame that society routinely crushes the strong and able manfolk until they are unable to believe in themselves.

(If you wanted to change this person, you could start by detailing his good points and what kind of things he's good at. However, most effective would be to find out what he considers his own good qualities and nurture/encourage them.)

Babies grow up quickly. Soon the situation will change. You will begin to have a responsible little adult (depending in how you raise them) by your side to help you and look after you. More than that, human beings are extraordinarily resilient and can go through most any trauma. As long as you are honest and sincere to your child, they will grow up more-or-less well adjusted, even if the world is falling apart around them.

If you love this person, then there can be resolution and happiness. All things can be done through love.
If you do not love this person, it may be better to talk, negotiate or flee. Nothing much can be done with the unwilling.
The fact that he shows up shows in some way, he is willing, to an extent. Without pushing it, you can coax more out of him. It requires trust.

In any case, this person doesn't have the conviction, belief or self-determination to change their own destiny, most likely because someone told him that he couldn't.
You should, in some way, make him realise that he has the power to change his life, be a caring father, a good partner, a good person, work hard, earn money, be respected, be a man, be loved(!) and cared for etc.

People need to feel certain things in order to be self-fulfilled. When we are broken by life, we lose our hope. When our dreams are crushed, we stop dreaming.
Most important is
1. Be respected
2. Be loved

for women, it's probably the other way around
1. Be loved
2. Be respected

Either way, this person obviously wants respect, and a role in the babies/your life. Failing that, just to be acknowledged is not too much to ask for.
More than that this person wants to respect their own self as a person, as a father, as a partner, as a family member.
Whether you decided to broach the topic of a full/proper relationship is up to you, but if you think it is possible, I would try.
Men can and do change for love, family and children. It's a part of growing up and becoming a responsible, mature adult. No one is born knowing how to do this, it's something we have to learn, and as long as we are willing, we can do our best and not give up.
Having a child/partner can help us become a new person, if we want to become a new person.

Good luck, sincerely;
-Sevenforce

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 12:20:20 pm »

snip'd due to length, but tries to make a good point.

NO.  This is an abusive relationship.  The only way out is OUT, cut connections, remove yourself and your child completely.  I cannot stress hard enough that you must totally remove this person from your life.  Maybe after some counseling on both sides it could be possible to have at least some kind of neutral relationship, but without it he represents a continual threat to your health both physical and mental.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like for him to get the help he needs, but you cannot be the one providing it, he has to deal with his shit himself.

As for you parents, sit down with them, and tell them everything.  If they won't help you cut ties with him then ask them to at least respect your desire to not be involved with him, if they refuse and continue to help him at your expense remove yourself and your child, a women's shelter would be a good lace to get started.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:24:25 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

martinuzz has good advice. A woman's shelter may at least give you the counseling you need because there will be women with like experiences there. You may not be able to stay there though, since you have a place to live.

Were I you, I'd start documenting and recording every interaction you have with him. Because this situation sounds like it has the potential to escalate. If it does, you NEED evidence you can take to the police or a lawyer, for your own protection. If he gets violent or physically abusive, proof of that may help you get free of him, by having the courts issue a restraining order or have him charged for whatever he does. Cellphone video and audio can be very useful. If you know he's going to come over, set your phone to record and put it somewhere it can't easily be found.

If things don't escalate, at the end of the day, you need to find some independence for yourself. Because him using your parents as leverage against you ain't cool, and I question how your parents can eventually just say "go talk to him." They should be the first ones to tell this guy to take a hike. So if you can't count on them to shield you from him, you need to be able to be independent so you can say what YOU want, and have it happen.

You also need to figure out legally where you stand with this baby. You guys aren't married. And right now his rights to the child are legally the same as your's despite him having done nothing to help other than kick you some money after he's already taken care of himself. He's an immature boy and he isn't ready to be a father. If he ain't ready to be a father, then you need the law on your side so he has no right to harass you. If he wants to see the child, go to court and arrange visitation rights so he can't show up whenever he's sober enough to care and feel guilty. That sets boundaries between you and him he's legally not supposed to cross. It might also be the wake up call he needs to fully appreciate that this is real. It's not something you can deal with for 30 minutes a week then go home and smoke and play your way to feeling "normal." Nobody feels "normal" after having a kid. It redefines the definition of "normal." If all he wants is to get back to the way his life used to be, then tell him to give up his legal rights to the child. Because it's honestly the best thing for him, you AND the baby.

He's probably feeling the sting to his pride and that's a large motivator of his desire to keep coming back. If you think you can raise the baby on your own then telling him you "absolve" him of his responsibilities (as bullshit as that is to have to do), that might be the permission he needs to well and truly be a dead beat dad and get out of your life so you can have some peace back.

And maybe just put some hard questions to him: do you actually want to raise a child? Do you actually care about this baby's well-being? Do you actually care about YOUR well-being? If he says yes to any of those things, then tell him action is required to prove it. Get a fucking job. Set aside the weed because it's only helping him right now and not you or his child. Support the family he helped start. Start putting in actual time raising the child and being there to help. Or get the fuck out.

These are ALL legitimate questions to ask of yourself too. You've been stuck with raising the child, but do you actually want the responsibility? Can you handle it? If your answers are no to any of those questions, then ask whether you're doing right by the child trying to raise it yourself too. Neither of you were prepared for this when it happened. So now you have to make hard choices the both of you. He has to ask whether or not he's willing to change his entire life because of this thing he made happen, and you have to ask if you have the strength to continue to sacrifice your life because of the same.

You have my sympathies, you really do. I spent most of my 20s and 30s making sure, if nothing else, I never got someone pregnant without meaning to. Because I knew I wasn't ready or willing to handle it. And you have my respect taking it on yourself. I was raised by a single mother and it ain't easy. So the least you could use is not having the father make things any harder than they already are.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:30:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 02:34:56 pm »

Thank you all for your support. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:32:09 pm by Amber Wolf »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 05:03:18 pm »

If he's not on the birth certificate then get a restraining order. He has exactly zero right to see the child unless he's ready to go to court to argue for it.

As fucked up as it might be to essentially decide for him how his relationship will or won't proceed with his own child, if he really wanted it his name would already be on that birth certificate. I'm all for love and forgiveness but if he's not taking the basic responsibility that comes with having sex like actually legally admitting he's the father....then fuck him. No man acts like they want to be father but doesn't legally bind themselves to that child's fate. If he walked off tomorrow he'd have no obligations for child support or anything beyond what he feels he should do. That's garbage.

Because restraining orders go on the record and have a tendency to result in drama once someone has had enough drinks/pep talks, I suggest telling him what you're going to do before you do it. Give him a chance to agree "Yes I have no legal right to the baby and if I want to see them it has to be when you say it's ok." Give him the out before you go legal but be prepared for a fight either way. Do it with other people around or in a safe environment like your parent's house. AFAIK (but do talk to a lawyer) he basically has no leg to stand on when it comes to the law.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »

Just wanted to say thank you for opening up my eyes. He just showed up right now without warning, and my mother brought her out for him to see. I confronted him in front of my parents and told him he needs to stop being a five minute dad. My mom took her inside. I called him out on being drunk and stoned, driving, and holding her right now ! I told him when he could come, and not whenever he pleased. He got angry and said OK. Slammed his door and took off squeeling his tires. Calling me names all the while. My mother is now on my side with getting a temporary restraining order.