Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 745 times)

ProtoZoa

• Bay Watcher
  • With AC-HE ammo
    • View Profile
What to do?
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:24:04 pm »

Ok my fort has been going pretty well (2nd year almost done) and I have been thinking: what should I do?
Most of my guys are idle and singing and I do not know what to use them for.  I already have enough personell for the important jobs.  I have to force myself to use them by "making mor tables cuz someday ill need em".  I figured the way to survive the game is just get a good military and get food and ur good to go.  That makes many of the jobs (except for like miners) obsolete because everyone else is on demand and only used varey rarely.  What do I do with migrant waves and what do I do when I have nothing to do in DF?

ProtoZoa

• Bay Watcher
  • With AC-HE ammo
    • View Profile
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:44:48 pm »

dang never mind for some reason everyone was attacking each other and 10 people died :/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »

Megaproject is still the answer.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »

Anything you want. Some things I wanna get to doing sometime and which you may use for inspiration:

Train carpenters, masons and glassmakers to replace all my furniture with masterwork blood thorn/obsidian/glass versions.

build a necropolis (Like, assing a tomb [a good one, a statue of themselves with their lover/pet/doing something badass, masterwork coffin and masterwork slab masterfully engraved...] to every useless dwarf and then find a way to kill them that doesnt destroy their body, and see if you can bury your whole civ.

Capture everything with cagetraps, and put it in masterwork cages around your fort (put elves inside clear glass or crystal glass cages. They know those materials require you to kill a tree, so let them think about it for all eternity. Or just wooden cages.) Or chain females on all of your males sleeping quarters, and in reverse with your female dwarfs. Naked. Heh, I once chained a naked giantess on the mayor's bedroom, and always assigned a dwarf that liked giants to that possition. After he died I chained her on the middle of the temple, that also happened to be that mayor's tomb. Before you start with the "you monster!", she arrived naked.

Survive a thousand years.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »

Whatever cool projects that spring to mind.

- All the boozes.
- Royal rooms for everyone.
- Become the mountainhome.
- Dome over the sky.
- Locate the fort deeper <on repeat>
- Architecture and murals that you like (perhaps depicting the civilization or significant events).
- Repel sieges, if you're in range of being sieged.
- Cage trap the surface.
- Flood <place> with magma.
- Public transport system.
- Everyone in your fort becomes a vampire necromancer.
- Breed and name megabeasts.
- Encrust everything with everything.
- Arranged marriages for generations.
- Arranged non-dwarf marriages.
- All members in fort multi-legendary always-ready military.

PS: You don't really need a good military, just entrance the enemies can't penetrate.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:58:31 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:55 pm »

Oh! One of my favorite things was to build an emergency bunker fort, completely separate from the rest of the fort and the mines. This is so that if some woe betides your fortress (clowns, for instance) you can order the survivors to enter and seal the vault.

Mine had a permanently sealing entrance via cave in, and contained pre-built farms, a small stockpile of food and booze, basic rooms and picks. I even had to use it when I was besieged and had clowns sneak in from a breached circus at the same time.

The ruling nobles and their families along with 10-20 citizens made it in before they had to seal it. Unfortunately this was back when death was instantly communicated to all of a dwarves friends and family regardless of actual knowledge, and some of them went insane.

Anyway that can be a lot of fun.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ProtoZoa

• Bay Watcher
  • With AC-HE ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:15 pm »

Well thank you for all of the suggestions  :)
I will do them all and have !!fun!!.  Man this game is fun