Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best practice of storing enemy corpses?  (Read 1327 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the best practice of storing enemy corpses?
« on: August 10, 2016, 04:22:18 am »

I defeated a siege, but dwarves are unhappy for this. Many of them are horrified seeing death, and they are horrified by the same corpses over and over again.

Then I make a dump zone on the northwest corner of the wall, and dump the corpses. So all the dwarves rush to the corpses and throw them out of the wall.

So all of them are horrified now.

And here come a wave of migrants, and there are no wall between their sight and the mountain of corpses.

Any methods to keep those cowards away from the horror of seeing death?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best practice of storing enemy corpses?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:24:57 am »

Magma.

Atom smasher.

Deep pit.

Trophy room in a dead-end tucked behind a closed door, where you can admire the corpses but your dwarves won't see them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:59:23 am »

It's been a while since I had so many but I once chanelled holes from the surface, into rooms that were dug and then resealed wirh walls below (for gainable access, if necessary, but impervious withour my intervention) and dumped the unwanted bodies (I set corpse hauling off by default, so can largely control exposure to those I want) into said holes, hoping that maybe I'd get necromancer-alarms or even obfuscating 'bait' for other dangers.

But mostly the corpse-hauling thing, whatever else you then do differently.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:07 am »

Below colddam point.

Minecarts can help with transporting the corpses without seeing all the transported corpses.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:40:04 am »

5z pit is deep enough for Urist to no longer see what's down there and freak out even when the dead down there are raised to zombies or reanimated.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:52:15 pm »

I don't know if it is still relevent, but a while back, I put the main graveyard/corpse stockpile in the main entrance corridor.

Caused some problems at first, but eventually my entire population consisted of double-hard bastards who would stoicly wade through a mountain of corpses without breaking a sweat.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:44:38 pm »

I don't know if it is still relevent, but a while back, I put the main graveyard/corpse stockpile in the main entrance corridor.

Caused some problems at first, but eventually my entire population consisted of double-hard bastards who would stoicly wade through a mountain of corpses without breaking a sweat.
sounds good to me, but my forts rather resulted in all my dorfs being too horrified to survive because their food supply-chain wasn't getting finished as they were all too busy contemplating all the horrors they had seen.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »

Sounds good to dump corpses in the legendary dining hall?

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:05:06 am »

Your stomach. I mean magma! Yes, magma...
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 07:08:35 am »

Your stomach. I mean magma! Yes, magma...
DEFINITELY elf...

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:38:21 am »

Yep, 5 Z rubbish pits near the Butcher Shop and another near the entrance hall. Both with the option of a stair and locked door for the miner to get out of and to go and retrieve anything that might have been mistakenly dumped (How did that adamantine sword get dropped down there Urist?). The hall rubbish pit get's turned off and on when necessary to deal with clearing the entrance hall of corpses of the latest bolt pincushions and house guard training dummies.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”