Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants from a former fortress?  (Read 1685 times)

TurambarFR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Migrants from a former fortress?
« on: August 12, 2016, 03:52:28 am »

I had a fortress with a potter werepig named Bomrek Something. I retired this fortress (letting it continue without me), then started another, and in the second migrant wave, there was a potter werepig named Bomrek something.

Really? Is that possible? This game is sooo wonderful!!!  :D

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants from a former fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 05:36:27 am »

It's not only possible, it's common, and it can cause your prior fort to be conquered when all of your prior military move into your new fort.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:33:10 am »

They carry over from abandoned fortresses, too, or at least used to.

I embarked on a river bank once, and got ripped to bits by alligators. Some of the dwarves were alive when I abandoned, and showed up at the doors of the new fortress along with the first wave. Of course, the moment they loaded in, they had tantrums and melancholia and whatnot, and some of them were missing limbs from the 'gator attack. Not what you want to deal with so early in the game.

I like how they held themselves together just long enough to make it to the new fortress and then fell apart on the doorstep.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »

This happens a lot, I think more so if your world is small and has not many dwarves or other residents in it. You can also get adventurers migrate in, even legendaries.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »

Yeah, this can happen. I remember getting a vampire in one fort, getting them legendary in pump operator[So they'd flash red] and naming their custom profession "Vampire". When I later abandoned that fortress and started a new one, imagine my surprise when I got a flashing red migrant whose occupation was "Vampire". They were in the fort for about five minutes before getting quarantined.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 07:57:59 pm »

They carry over from abandoned fortresses, too, or at least used to.

Yup. I lost a fortress back in .34 to a tantrum spiral that occurred after a goblin invasion massacred most of my dorfs, and the ones that were left were too upset to bury the bodies (would freak out every time I got them to try), resulting in decaying dwarf-corpses all over the place, and several ghosts (one of them violent).

I started a new fortress, the FIRST migration wave had a VERY unhappy survivor from the previous fort. In addition to the unhappiness about the death and decay of loved ones, his clothig was rotting off of him (I hadn't set up clothing-making yet, since usually it's a couple years before you need it) and he had been sleeping outside on the journey to the new fort (I didn't have proper bedrooms yet, just a couple of beds stuck in a random corner).

He kept randomly punching people for no reason, and eventually started the tantrum spiral that brought down the new fort.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".