Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Justice stopped working?  (Read 1406 times)

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Justice stopped working?
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:01:50 pm »

This is the first session I've played with the new 0.43.05 version.  I created a new world and embark from scratch.  Playing along, I did my usual and eventually assigned a Sheriff, who then became Captain of the Guard.  I assigned two weakling guards to his squad, and all seemed well.

The first Justice event was finding a dorf drained of blood, the murdering Vampire caught in the act and chained up, as per normal.  Since then, he has been confined to a walled-in dungeon of his own to contemplate his [lack of an] afterlife.  Several times, he has been elected mayor somehow (a bug?), where I quickly replaced him with the local baroness.  Personally, I would not have voted for the guy.

So far, Justice working well.  Then, during a brief period while Vampy was mayor, he enacted a mandate, which I ignored as I again replaced him with the Baroness.  Later on, a dorf was accused of failing to comply with the mandate and was chained up for 75 days (another bug?).  Forgivable; Justice still seems to function.

Later on, after a siege, my Captain of the Guard was killed defending his people from an invader with his training spear.  No big deal.  I needed a replacement leader for his squad, so I removed a guard then added him back as Captain of the Guard using the Military Positions screen.

Ever since then, my fortress has had at least three brawls, each ending up killing several dorfs (including children), and NO JUSTICE!  Not one Murder, not one Disorderly Conduct reported!  The Justice system seems to have broken.  Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong?  Any ideas on how to fix it?  Justice must be hammered!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Justice stopped working?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 02:27:53 pm »

I wasn't aware that the (in)justice system has ever worked...

You obviously fail to understand basic psychology: there are a lot of crooks being reelected as politicians because they're so charming and lie so believably (not to mention rapists, murderers, and worse who are defended by people who refuse to believe such a (seemingly) nice person could ever be guilty of such crimes (although some, but not all, supporters come to their senses after the conviction)).

Regarding the brawls, I assume they all took place in the staffed tavern, where booze serving results in lethal "non lethal" brawls and alcohol poisoning deaths, none of which are "real" crimes. Most of this goes away if the tavern remains unstaffed (note that performers serve as much drinks as a tavern keeper does, and both tavern keepers and performers perform about as much as any idle dorf in the tavern does).

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 02:53:30 pm »

Yes, I do have a tavern, and one of the deaths happened to be the tavern bartender.  The fight seemed to spill out along the path to the hospital, deaths along the way.  I even went so far as to position the Guard squad to the hallway where the fight was taking place - no reaction!

I've actually had good luck with the Justice system; I had my weakling guards with their sticks beating or chaining the disorderly.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:40:26 pm »

Barroom brawls justice doesn't work (never has done). Vampires almost always get voted mayor as they have much higher social skills than everyone else.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »

Comes with living forever. Next time order the militia to kill the offender, or just release a GCS in the hallway to end the fight. Warning: Advisor not responsible for nibbling done by the GCS before it can be reconfined.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

I rather like how the d0rf rozzers won't interfere with tavern brawls. Difficult to say if it is a bug or a feature, though.

Elf Visitor: "Oh, this big, violent riot is simply hideous, won't you do something?!"
Dwarven Police Officer: "Nay, t'is a domestic matter. They'll sort it out 'mongst themselves."
Elf: "But that poor man has had his brain ruptured!"
Officer Urist: "He's a big boy. T'is our custom, I wouldnae expect an elf to understand..."
Elf: "But that child has a snapped spine! Why will no one think of the children?!"
Officer Urist: "Had enough of ye lip, Goldielocks! Yer nicked! Go on, off to the cooler with ye!" *Baton blow*

Unfathomable Dwarven justice metted out by an inebriated, unsteady hand. Like it should be.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »

As amusng as that sounds, it is actually a bug. Someone asked in Fotf a while ago.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:54:58 pm »

I rather like how the d0rf rozzers won't interfere with tavern brawls. Difficult to say if it is a bug or a feature, though.

Elf Visitor: "Oh, this big, violent riot is simply hideous, won't you do something?!"
Dwarven Police Officer: "Nay, t'is a domestic matter. They'll sort it out 'mongst themselves."
Officer Urist: "He's a big boy. T'is our custom, I wouldnae expect an elf to understand..."
Elf: "But that child has a snapped spine! Why will no one think of the children?!"
Officer Urist: "Had enough of ye lip, Goldielocks! Yer nicked! Go on, off to the cooler with ye!" *Baton blow*

Unfathomable Dwarven justice metted out by an inebriated, unsteady hand. Like it should be.
The child was most likely attacked in self-defense.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:25:47 am »

I have a ~100 pop fortress in the latest version and I find that assigning only two or three goblets to a tavern stocked with booze keeps the booze flowing but never kills anyone or starts any fights.

emodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:46 am »

Hmmm... Interesting to correlate the quantity of goblets to violence.  I will have to do some testing!  :)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:43:21 am »

Not a feature? Oh, well, probably for the best. I don't mind a good brawl, but I've usually got d0rfs to spare.

Children in DF can be right little beasts. But then again, with Dwarven daycare and whatnot, they probably have to be. Will be fun when this bug is ironed out, though, I love the image of a berserk, blood-stained child surrounded by terrified riot policemen.

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 11:52:26 pm »

You kidding? usually the child is the one snapping someone else's spine...
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 06:08:28 am »

It's a very frail child, who Collided with an Obstacle after some misguided dodging. Although his ghost might be rather more effective... Better keep a casket handy.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:46 pm »

I recommend sealing up the vampire in a room with nothing but a table and a chair then assigning them to be manager and bookkeeper rather than letting the justice system handle them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia