Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roc taming questions  (Read 1979 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roc taming questions
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:27:03 pm »

Can i fully tame them? can they breed and tame the children too? if i have full knowledge of them and my civ too, can i trade em rocs in cages and eggs of them too? will my civ have rocs in their forts too? i just got a breedig pair of rocs that im training with my legendary animal trainer sorry for many questions
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roc taming questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Roc

- The adults can only be trained.
- Children trained before reaching adulthood become fully tame, as will the offspring of fully tame females (without further training).
- You can trade trained creatures and presumably eggs as well.
- Trading doesn't work yet, so anything traded away goes down the bit bucket.
- Training skill gets transferred from the fortress to the mountainhome with each trade liaison, so presumably future embarks would have a higher base training level. I've seen it said it takes 80 years to reach the maximum training level, though...
- You can never tame a new species, so there will always be a difference between domesticated species encountered in the wild and ones you've acquired some training knowledge of. Since offspring of tame individual are tame it doesn't make much of a difference in practice, though.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:43:59 pm »

Yes, they can be fully domesticated.  Don't let them within sight of active-duty military.  You can trade away animals but I don't know if that actually affects the livestock available to other sites.  Eggs are never fertile if they are taken out of the nestbox, so trading eggs = trading any other high-value food.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »

but can i make other forts and mountainhomes of my civilization have rocs from my fort? so they appear in legends and adventure mode, or maybe as mounts of my civ?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 01:47:24 am »

No. As per the above.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 05:56:16 am »

The effect it is actually going to have in your game is that future forts you begin from that civ may well start with some Roc knowledge inherited from your current fort.  They will be easier to train from the wild in future, but the way it stands now, its still got to be you doing it.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 02:42:21 pm »

If you release untamed children will they revert to wild, wander off the map, and raise the global population of rocs? I know non-megabeast creatures did last time I checked, but rocs might not be inclined to "migrate out" since megabeasts typically don't. If they do, you could "stock" the world with rocs to increase the odds of getting a breeding pair in your next fortress. You'd still have to capture and train them yourself, though.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »

Have you got any of them to hatch yet?

Whilst you may have a breeding pair, i remember looking into breeding dragons and IIRC they take something ridiculous like 10 years to hatch, this being the topic in question (very very old!): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108445.msg3239293#msg3239293
Not sure if it's been changed. But i would imagine Roc's have a similarly large hatching time.

There is some success around page 7 in getting them to hatch, after modifying some of the raws so that he didn't need to wait around 10 years.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:20 pm »

I've bred rocs and they take 3 months to hatch like any other egglaying animal.  It's easy to get an infertile pair, though, since it's so unusual to get even 1 pair, let alone extras to pad against infertility.