Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bad Ideas  (Read 1950 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Ideas
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anatzenko:
<STRONG>I wanted a skylight "window" to my glorious dwarfish dining hall and decided to use floor grates on the ground level for aesthetic reasons. I find out the hard way that floor grates do not support each others the way floor tiles do . So plenty floor grates come crashing down on my poor celebrating dwarfs. Luckily only one carpenter sustained brain damage.

on this note anyone know to make non-crashing floor that light passes?</STRONG>

I believe theres some way to make "floors" out of clear glass, which is about as close as you'll get to a sky-view in your dining hall. Save for litterally digging out a ceiling, then hoping the dwarves dont mind rainfall / goblins firing at them.

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

Dig out the ceiling, replace the roof (ie: floor on the z-level above) with clear glass blocks. Or green glass blocks, if you don't have much treeage to burn.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:00 am »

But does that actually let light in?  If not, it's not much good against cave adaptation. Or farming exotic plants in the safety of your own home.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Markham:
<STRONG>When anyone spars, there's a good chance of falling into the well.  I've lost more axedwarfs to drowning in the well than sparring wounds.</STRONG>

Spartan dwarfs kicking the looser down into the well?

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

When sparring, you either lose dwarves because they don't get enough water, or because they get too much water.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 06:24:00 am »

Sending an unarmoured champion crossbowdwarf chasing after elephants hasn't proven to be my best idea. His poor head...
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

Starting a fortress seems to be basically a bad idea.  If it's not the raccoons striking threatening poses, it's the cave-ins on top of the mining team, the plumbing problems, the doctors going on strike, rampaging megafauna, war, famine, and death.  I always lose.

TheWindUpMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>But does that actually let light in?  If not, it's not much good against cave adaptation. Or farming exotic plants in the safety of your own home.</STRONG>

Once you expose an area to the surface, it will forever be light, even if you close up the ceiling again.  This is a known issue.

Pages: 1 2 [3]