Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress defense setup concepts  (Read 699 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Fortress defense setup concepts
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:14:00 am »

A little theoretical situation. You're going to be attacked from somewhere in or around your fortress, but you dont know where. So, you attempt to defend every portion of your base and manage to get them up in time for the attack. What do the defenses look like, who are the enemy and defenders, and where did the attack occur? (When and Why are irrelevant since they're obvious)

You cannot state what equipment your dwarves have, or the outcome of the fight. Simply who attacks, where they attack, and what the defenses they attack look like. Also, the maximum area for your defenses is 25x25 characters; a screenshot of in-game or simple text characters is necessary. Please, be sure to define what is what! The fight can take place anywhere, as well, not just around the chasm or lava flow; the middle of the exterior, or simply somewhere in the middle of your dungeon. Er. FORT. Sorry, i had a relapse into Dungeon Keeper mode for a second there...   :D

Discussions and what your setup concept would be should be seperated by some number of -'s, ='s, or what-have-you. You can do flood-filling rooms and all the similar "LOL!" sort of traps (squishing demons with retractable bridges) but please note when you're doing so. Effective concepts on non-standard environments with standard strategies (IE: no pancake machines) gets double points.
=====

Where: Chasm
Who: Firemen
What:

code:
 #######..    .###
##..X...    ..###
##..F...     .... >
##..F.      ...##
/////////////////
##..F..     ..###
L#..F...     .###
<.D..F..BBBB...###
########    .####

Here we have had the rock walls (#) around the chasm hollowed out to create a walkable ledge, and a very long row of (F)ortifications ended with a Floodgate (X) which is linked to the (L)ever. The (D)oor and the pathway with the <arrow> arrow leads to the right of the map. Slashes (/) have been used to demonstrate just how long this setup could be. Obviously, behind the fortifications would be marksdwarves.

I used a floodgate instead of a door because a floodgate can be coupled to a channel later on, and because i think that floodgates are slightly stronger; even if it has to be open if i want dwarves to be able to pass through.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress defense setup concepts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:17:00 am »

Here's my setup for 99% of the fortress

code:

###############
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
###############

Traps, Lots and lots of traps.

Ok, seriously now, This next arragement works well in alot of places.

code:

#############...#
#.....^.....f...f
#.....^.....f...f
#.....^.....fffff
^...fffff.....^..
^...f...f.....^..
^...f...f.....^..
#####...#########

The 'f's are for fortifications
Just make two barracks and two crossbow squads in the 3x3 rooms. The traps are good for getting sneakers and elephants.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Canuck-Errant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:31:00 am »

I haven't gotten attacked much in DF, but my standard setup when I get to a river/chasm is this:
code:

%%%%%%%%%     %%%%%%%%%
       %~~~~~%
       %~~~~~%
%XXXX%  %~~~~~%  %XXXX%  
X    X  %~~~~~%  X    X
X    X   =====   X    X
/    X   +++++   X    /
X    X   =====   X    X
X    X  %~~~~~%  X    X
%XXXX%  %~~~~~%  %XXXX%  
       %~~~~~%
       %~~~~~%
%%%%%%%%%     %%%%%%%%%

Basically, a 5x5 barracks on either side of the river, with fortifications carved into all the walls. I build secondary bridges when neccessary to get across to bridge, but these I get rid of once the main bridge is built - or just have them retract.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:42:00 am »

Careful.  Retracting bridges won't stop flying foes.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zanfib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:00 am »

My front gate is:

code:

.XXXXXXXXXXX
..XXXXXXXXXX
..f.....XXXX
..f.....XXXX
..f.....D..X
..f.....XX.X
..f.....XX.X
..ffffffXX.X
..^^^^^^DD.D
..^^^^^^DD.D
..ffffffXX.X
..f.....XX.X
..f.....XX.X
..f.....D..X
..f.....XXXX
..f.....XXXX
..XXXXXXXXXX
.XXXXXXXXXXX

[ September 16, 2006: Message edited by: Zanfib ]

[ September 16, 2006: Message edited by: Zanfib ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 09:55:00 pm »

This one I came up with after about 5 minutes of hard thinking. You can make the trap short, to fit into a crowded and already extant fortress, or you can make it longer to fit more enemies at once for maximum gore.

Since it's very tight and not at all convenient for dwarves to pass through, I reccomend making this a second, false gate, connected into the fortress main with all doors to it locked. On the real gate, you can have a raising dr
awbridge/flooding moat/door/gate/whatever that is dormant until war, at which point you seal it off with a level pull and unlock the doors to your trap entrance.

| is the retracted bridge, + is the doors, and * will mark where the bridge, which raises --> thataway, should end when it's fully down.
The trap looks like this:

code:

################
#############++#
+*...........|.+
#############++.
###############

So when extended, the bridge will look like this:

code:

################
#############++#
+=============.+
#############++.
###############

And now: Pathfinding exploitation!

What you do is: Now that you've got your main entrance sealed, and the barbarians are at the gates, make sure the bridge is raised and unlock ALL the doors in your trap tunnel. You heard me. Now, since this is officially your only exit from the fortress, the enemies will come in here.

"But so will my dorfs!" you say. Yes! But if you have another door beyond this and keep it locked, you can keep dwarves away while still attracting stupid, stupid enemies. Now that you've got your enemies in the corridor, lock all the doors again and pull the lever you connected the bridge to. Splat!

To reuse, simply raise the bridge and then unlock all the doors.

It's a very elaborate and labor intensive setup, but if you put the effort in you could be able to defeat entire, dimwitted armies just by repeated use of this trap.

The fortress I tried this on worked fine with a full fortress guard, and standing army of 3 soldiers, and wardogs stationed in key positions against river/chasm men attacks.

Didn't help much against the demons though...

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 11:38:00 pm »

have a 10 by 10 outside your front gate. when shit comes. Raise and prepare to splat.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?