Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Child Prodige.  (Read 1893 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: Child Prodige.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:39 am »

Thank you comrade!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »

This is the only non-DFHack way I know to manipulate moods so that your craftsdwarf shop doesn't become littered with artifact figurines.

Well, you could add one or more "natural skills" to the dwarf raws. If all your children have innate "dabbling weaponsmith" then you'll get nice, sometimes-useful weapons instead of never-useful trinkets. (Though, with the addition of display stands, the trinkets will have at least some use in the next version.)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 06:09:04 pm »

Well, it would still be nice if they started off with something. Best yet, give them a low bonus via the skill of their parents.
Parents were a legendary weaponsmith and a master mason? Kid gets a slight bonus to these skills. Nothing major, at max novice, but enough to be noticable. And maybe have a randomized starting skill for children (not more than dabbling?!). That way children don't end up all as legendary -crafters and you don't need to find a way to use all these figurines.

Just my thoughts on how the mood-system for children would be better - then again, I'd make moods for children extremly rare anyway.
But it's not my game, I just play it when I have the time to get into it.

Of course moods and artifacts are nothing to rely on. It's just sad when you try to run a generations-fortress instead of a migration-fortress, so you rely on childbirth a lot with a low starting population, and end up having only disappointing mood results to a point where it really doesn't matter to you anymore what "crap" gets produced next.
At best I could imagine packing all the artifact figurines into a minecart and shotgunning invaders with them. Display cases... pfff... I prefer elves people to admire my art right up close and personal. Preferably with their face and brains.

I just love the suspense you get when you know the dwarf might be creating something useful. A door, a hatch, furniture, or even armor or weapons.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:20:39 pm »

There is one way to kinda display those figurines, though: Never take them out of the mood building and keep them unforbidden (warning: dwarves will want to take them out of the buildings to store in their rooms). Adds to room value, at least (only way to add building designer bonus to an artifact spiked ball, for instance).
Pages: 1 [2]