Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEMESIS LOAD FAILURE - CAN IT BE FIXED?  (Read 543 times)

Khorin Athol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
NEMESIS LOAD FAILURE - CAN IT BE FIXED?
« on: August 12, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »

Excuse the capslok.

Here's what's up--I found it so frustratingly impossible to get the elves to go to war with me--so I embarked in a region where we were already at war with the elves.

I am pretty sure that's what's happening is that whenever the elves show up to ambush/raid/siege, the game hard crashes with a NEMESIS LOAD FAILURE. So I never get my elf-slaughter on, and whenever I would, I get to lose several seasons of progress instead.

I'm really hoping there's currently a hot patch or a workaround for this that will still let me play mostly vanilla DF. Anyone got anything helpful?

Thanks,
- Khorin

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEMESIS LOAD FAILURE - CAN IT BE FIXED?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »

This happens to me when I try to start an adventure in my fort (that I made a copy of the save at the time and retired it on that save XD)

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »

Dunno if it's the case for you but I - uh, actually a friend of mine - gets this error message if I he save scums too much. Guess it messes up the save file somehow.

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:39:24 pm »

I always set autosave to seasonal to minimise lost time. May even want to change compressed saves to uncompressed incase something got corrupted while saving but I don't 'think' that's your problem, however it does seem to be a save issue

I did have something like this when transferring an edited and modded save to a new DF version, but then I changed graphic sets and updated the mod. Had to edit several of the save file's raw/objects to change creatures back to mostly how they were to get it to work. I think this error references a mismatch in creatures? As in, the expected creature in the save .dat files is now different than or missing in the save/region#/raw/objects files? I recall that thread suggesting you were editing the elves to make them more likely to siege you? Unfortunately I think this has modified them too much from the save itself. To fully implement them you'd need to change the worldgen raw/objects to those changes and gen a new world. You could fix the saves however and not crash at the siege by using http://WinMerge.org to compare old and new files to see what's missing/changed and continue the war with the damn stinking elves ;p. Only certain tags would need to be added back in I think, so you could trial and error the differences. Used it to fix my "NEMESIS LOAD FAILURE" and several missing material/object errors that also crashed it.

One last thing I can think of which can give that error but I don't think is your issue anyway, thought I'd post it: it's possible the DF or LazyNewbPack download was corrupted and has a different checksum than the original. If it's vanilla you could try downloading it again. If it's LNP you can look at the dffd download page(for your version) and compare the SHA-256 hash of the archive(.zip) you downloaded with the listed one by using http://OnlineMD5.com. You can just drag the file over, then copy and paste the hash from the dffd page to compare with. I doubt this is the case but I've had that happen twice and be the cause of crashes and odd errors in about 3 years
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:50:04 am by Thatotherguy23 »