Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't gain exp from training spears?  (Read 948 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't gain exp from training spears?
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:49:34 pm »

I have 4 dwarves, 2 of them are level 3 speardwarves and the other two are recruits. I did the following: make a uniform of bronze armors and wooden training spear and wooden shield, wait for them to pick up all equipments,  order the squad to station in a room, close the door, release a wild elk bird from a built cage in the room, order the squad to kill the elk bird. And then the dwarves start beating the elk bird and report a lot of combat log. Now the elk bird has a page of yellow wounds, the dwarves are tired, but their spear skill remains the same, 2 level 3 and 2 zero, I watched them for a while and they gain no exp at all. But their armor user do raise some levels. I'm curious about (1) why the spear skill does not gain exp and (2) why the armor user skill raises because I heard it only gains exp from being beaten.
Edit: then I opened the door and a woodcutter happened to come in and decapitated the elk bird.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:55:44 pm by lcy03406 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Can't gain exp from training spears?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:59 am »

Armor user raises when dwarves get hit. Either by bird or by each other, or by anything that is an object(snow/water doesn't count, ground does).

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:39:33 am »

Armor user raises when dwarves get hit. Either by bird or by each other, or by anything that is an object(snow/water doesn't count, ground does).
That is my question. The 4 dwarves bashed and stabed the one elk bird. So the elk bird barely had any chance to hit the dwarves. It fell unconscious, woke up, and fell unconscious again before it can hit the dwarves. But the dwarves gained level 5 armor user while spear skill was still 0.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:18:42 am »

Check combat reports; dwarves skidding along the ground, accidentally hitting each other or themselves totally count (I recall a mention in face palm thread of self-amputation with wooden axe). 5 levels of armor user is a lot, given it is only at most 9 exp per hit.

Even if the spears don't count as spears anymore, surely they would count as misc. weapon at least and not armor?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:08:30 am »

And I assume you've verified the dorfs actually beat the elk bird with the spears, and didn't just use their fists (or biting it)?

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:14:59 am »

In adventure mode and hence in all likelihood fortress mode, hitting unconscious foes doesn't net XP, other than wrestling.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 06:51:17 am »

And I assume you've verified the dorfs actually beat the elk bird with the spears, and didn't just use their fists (or biting it)?
Yes. DT shows green. Combat log says "with his *willow training spears" etc.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:52:35 am »

In adventure mode and hence in all likelihood fortress mode, hitting unconscious foes doesn't net XP, other than wrestling.
But beating another elk bird to death with wooden crossbows do raise 4 recruits to level 4 or 5 in hammering.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 04:18:57 pm »

In adv mode you can jump off of trees in full armor, and gain armor skill.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 03:56:17 pm »

This sounds a bit like your spear exp was getting assigned to armor user skill for some reason?   :o