Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doubts about making a creature from scratch  (Read 873 times)

Bhalandros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doubts about making a creature from scratch
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:15:38 pm »

Waddup.
Well, I'm VERY new to modding, and it's been a while since i've been trying to figure out how to make something, and I cannot for the life of me understand how anything works with the guides, because they teach you specific things that don't apply to what I want.

I have tried working on an already done thing, (so it's easier?) so I started with a cool idea I had in mind. I copied the raws for the dwarf creature, and started working on it. My idea is: A dwarf made of rock with molten metal (or lava) for blood. I just have the idea, and I've been trying to figure out how detail plans work, but I can't.

My question is: How do. Is it necessary to use detail plans? Can't I just choose materials individually? Etc.

(Also, I want the creature to be playable on adventure mode, but I don't want it to exist outside it, as in i'm the only one, so that's a thing I want to do too)

I want to make sure everyone understands I'm not asking for someone to make this for me, I just want to know how do I make this, like a training exercise. If you REALLY want to do it go ahead, but I would really appreciate instructions on how to make it happen myself.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. (Sorry if bad english)

(I'm just going to leave this here)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:01:58 pm by Bhalandros »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Doubts about making a creature from scratch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:38:52 pm »

Well, you'd probably want to make the creature fixed_temp or something, because as soon as it bleeds it's going to melt itself (unless that's totally your thing, I don't know).

At any rate, this is where a raw defines what blood is made out of.
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

I won't make it for you since you want to do it yourself  8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:42:35 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:44:54 pm »

Read the wiki, specifically the pages on creature modding. The wiki is invaluable when starting out.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Bhalandros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »

Well, you'd probably want to make the creature fixed_temp or something, because as soon as it bleeds it's going to melt itself (unless that's totally your thing, I don't know).

At any rate, this is where a raw defines what blood is made out of.
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]

I won't make it for you since you want to do it yourself  8)
Thanks, but I still don't understand how to "remove" the detail plan. This is what I have as of now: (I've given up on the lava blood, would be too messy)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just copied the dwarf one and added the name and stuff. So, can I just delete the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN stuff and add separate materials instead of whole body plans? Also, I want them to have no organs but I don't know if that can work.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »

Yeah, you can just sort of chop things like eyes, nose, etc without adverse effects. Some things, like a brain or eyes, you'll want to provide a workaround for (extravision, perhaps, or no center of thought). You could probably chop organs too, but I'm not sure what kind of effect, say, no liver would have.

I guess you could chop the materials and do every single thing manually, but it really is easier to just maybe copy paste the standard plan, rename it, and edit stuff to make it stone.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bhalandros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »

Yeah, you can just sort of chop things like eyes, nose, etc without adverse effects. Some things, like a brain or eyes, you'll want to provide a workaround for (extravision, perhaps, or no center of thought). You could probably chop organs too, but I'm not sure what kind of effect, say, no liver would have.

I guess you could chop the materials and do every single thing manually, but it really is easier to just maybe copy paste the standard plan, rename it, and edit stuff to make it stone.
Funny thing I just rearranged it.
I used the bronze colossus one now. Here it is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know what the "APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATON" thing is, so I didn't touch it (as of now)
I worked around it having no brain by putting thought in all its body, will this be strange?
(Also, I need to know how to give him a beard. I can't have a dwarf, be it stone or not, without one.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »

Without the NO_WHATEVER and NOWHATEVER tokens, the only parts that are truly necessary to prevent death are brain and lungs. Everything else is mostly for fluff and injuries. Don't need stomach to eat, for instance. Despite being pretty much an instant kill if damaged, the heart can be absent without issues.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 07:28:14 am »

lava blood should be trivial if all materials that creature is made of are magma-safe.