Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Talk to me about 0.43  (Read 1740 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Talk to me about 0.43
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:26:56 pm »

Hi.

It's been a long time since I last loaded up DF. I played the shit out of 34.11, dabbled a bit in the early early days of 0.40, then bailed when the Fun started to disappear. Between broken siege pathfinding, broken discipline, and no longer being able to build walls out of raw clay boulders, I got sour and stopped playing. I'm wanting to get back in, but I also want to know, what are the most common "big problems" typical to 0.43? Stuff like the 0.40 vanishing sieges, the 0.31 save corruption, dwarves and goblins alike crippled by outrageous terror at the sight of each other, etc. What's still around, what's new, and what's been fixed?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to me about 0.43
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:01:24 pm »

Vanishing sieges did not vanish, they vanish.
Someone said enemies can climb walls now but I have no idea because the sieges vanish.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:40:09 am »

While siege pathing is much improved from the early days of 0.40, they can still totally not path to your fort and go somewhere else instead, come from a small site or some other options. And like said above, can become afraid or be in path and leave map right after.

Needs system: Dwarves often have unfulfillable needs. Not fulfilling enough needs makes them annoy you by making them flash with yellow down arrow, as well as getting a quality penalty. Tavern, temple, to small extent library replacing the old "On Break"/"Party". If left to rot for a long while, the jobs won't be interrupted by high priority workshop jobs after designating. 

Vengeful thought spirals - dwarves feeling vengeful upon joining an existing conflict, giving an AoE happiness penalty. Can cause tantrums. Though, this might have been around in 0.40 too - didn't play then.

On fixing side, fair amount: like, say, worldgen has consistent history now and zombies are no longer death walking, some farming barrel/bag adjustments...

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:22 am »

Merchants still suck and commit sepuku because they saw a bird, pathfinding for my forts has been outstanding, goblin siege arrived (vast force of over a hundred) and zeroed instantly the only way into the fort: the stairwell to bring water inside I was working on when the siege arrived. Turned into a big underground battle in the cistern.

Oh enemies WILL climb the walls! Oh they will... Make the wall 1-2 high and then seal it VERY well with fortifications to stop climbers. HOWEVER! Pathing is improved because I wound up in a "starship troopers whiskey outpost" battle because two trees grew beside the wall and the trolls and goblins pathed around the walls, up the trees onto the walls.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:06:14 pm »

Yeah, but on the other side I just did a two-year test embark (elves and humans said No Trade) in a world I genned to reach 80+ population and wait for a bit(maybe should have been longer - once they'd finished wiping out other two dwarf settlements, the only target would have been my fort. And also only target for perhaps goblins with their -------), and the stupid elves and humans both ganged up on dwarves, wiped out 3 sites and left my fort alone without trade.

And I didn't harm a hair on the elven caravan! Granted, I accidentally forgot to trade anything too....

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »

Sounds more like background declarations of war, if your site was the only survivor did you not gain a king for it? If you were the last survivors it auto-picks someone within your own fortress, I know because back in .34 that happened to me, goblins went on the war path out of the blue and wiped out near 100% of all dwarves and humans in my region, wound up with the king, queen and various nobles from other settlements.

Not sure how wars start or end in the game still, oh well.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 01:42:59 pm »

I know that back in 0.34, wars never started or ended. You had to get lucky and be at war with someone when you started the world.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »

Yeah, I did get a king :p Though the site wasn't the only survivor.

Still, not sure I'll go back to it, was just a test for Cracklife succession - the whole thing leaves me with mixed feelings...(On the one hand, "yay war", on the other hand "wait, this removes autonomy from the players".)