Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to artificially (via raws or whatever) create a siege?  (Read 963 times)

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had four forts and none have been attacked. The first wasn't near any enemy civs, the next two each got a single half second siege that ended as soon as it started, and I just realized my latest only had kobloids nearby (do they invade?) with which my civ is not at war with.

I just want a challenge for my army.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to artificially (via raws or whatever) create a siege?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »

Just a thought, but how about starting a fortress which does actually have goblin neighbours?

The half-second sieges aren't sieges. They're just glitchy ambushes/snatchers triggering the siege flag due to some bug. Actual goblins won't come until you reach population 80.

You can speed up the sieges by tweaking the goblins to come earlier if you like Just edit entity_default.txt find the goblin entity (Evil) and change the population siege trigger from 3 (pop 80) to 1 (pop 20). Unlike most tweaks, this change works even if you don't gen a new world. There are triggers for wealth too (default is 0, wealth doesn't effect sieges).

Or you could play Fortress Defence mod which adds loads of new baddies, some of which should attack you eventually.

-- edit
Just a thought, but you're probably using the wrong screen to check for neighbours if you realized there's 'only kobolds', as kobolds don't show up on the neighbors list. You maybe checked that with 'c' for civilizations, right? That only shows nearby civs who have already visited your fortress while you were playing (probably had a thief at some point). The actual list of neighbours is on the embark map before you start (hit tab a couple of times). Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:00:57 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 03:32:24 am »

Shonai_Dweller has answered you ☼Masterfully☼, but to reiterate; Make sure before you embark that you have neighbours for who will siege/trade with you and to remember they do have conditions on whether they'll invade or not that you can edit. There's nothing wrong with re-genning a world to have better clumps of nearby civilisations. The quick siege/visits will be fixed eventually by Toady but they're not "missed" sieges or anything.

With Fortress Defense Mod II, I embark after 20-40 years(so the elves, humans and dwarves haven't been overrun) with anywhere from 4 to 10 dangerous neighbours. Basically be ready for sieges as large as 70, 100, 150 and I even had a siege of over 230 strong at a 7 year fortress. Crazy stuff, very challenging with the variety, armour and different abilities of the creatures. You can easily take out any you don't like too

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:17 am »

If it's any consolation, Toady mentioned last month that in the future, entities might be encouraged to travel longer distances to invade you once rumours of your fabulous artifact pants reach them (and probably beasts a lot sooner - they do love shiny pants).

They may even come earlier if you steal all their artifacts with an adventurer and stash them all in the fortress. :)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:15:09 am »

I just want a challenge for my army.

Delve too deeply and greedily and you will find your challenge.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:15 am »

I'm not sure it works in the current version, but there used to be a DFHack script/command that spawned a siege. I have no idea if that is still around in a working version.

Also, for future fortresses try to build them in a decent sized world, aka not a pocket world, and run history for a few hundred years so the goblins can get properly established along with some necro towers. Make sure to embark close to some large goblin populations and necro towers. Also decrease the siege trigger population and wealth cap in the init.txt file before you get started.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:59:22 am »

If it's any consolation, Toady mentioned last month that in the future, entities might be encouraged to travel longer distances to invade you once rumours of your fabulous artifact pants reach them (and probably beasts a lot sooner - they do love shiny pants).

They may even come earlier if you steal all their artifacts with an adventurer and stash them all in the fortress. :)
I like this idea. Maybe some kind of algebra where the more wealthy your fort is, the further folks will travel to reach it. Get rich enough and goblins will trek entire continents just to invade you.

Might also help balance the populations, since I've heard that as it is goblins seem to have a persistent biological advantage.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:20 am »

I'm not sure it works in the current version, but there used to be a DFHack script/command that spawned a siege. I have no idea if that is still around in a working version.

Also, for future fortresses try to build them in a decent sized world, aka not a pocket world, and run history for a few hundred years so the goblins can get properly established along with some necro towers. Make sure to embark close to some large goblin populations and necro towers. Also decrease the siege trigger population and wealth cap in the init.txt file before you get started.
And raise the siege cap to 500 while you're at it. Sure they'll run out of manpower sooner, but it'll be Fun while it lasts!