Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is nobody harvesting?  (Read 741 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Why is nobody harvesting?
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:46:41 pm »

I'm playing 43.03, using the Lazy Newb Pack if that makes any difference. I've got both above and below ground farms, with orders set to all dwarves gather, I have lots of empty space in the fruit cellar, tons of empty pots and barrels, and 40 idle dwarves, as I stopped construction of the medium sized castle a while back... Yet foods rotting in the fields. I've only had about a third of the harvests actually harvested in four years in game, one year with absolutely nothing harvested. Why is nobody harvesting the food in the fields, despite being able to and being idle?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is nobody harvesting?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:52:58 am »

Do you have enough food stockpile for the food to actually go to? If i'm correct they won't harvest anything if there is nowhere to put it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:16:39 am »

Double-check the stockpile settings.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:29:48 am »

It is not "gather" but "harvest" which you should look at in the [ o ]rder menu...
[ o]rders
[ h]arvest

remark: I find it useful to have "only farmers harvest" and a seect few dwarves to be growers. Experienced farmers (growers) increase the efficiency of the planted seeds.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:35:31 am »

It is not "gather" but "harvest" which you should look at in the [ o ]rder menu...
[ o]rders
[ h]arvest

remark: I find it useful to have "only farmers harvest" and a seect few dwarves to be growers. Experienced farmers (growers) increase the efficiency of the planted seeds.

I facepalmed hardcore over this mistake... Thanks, I've been playing for two years and this is the first time I had this problem, and it appears I usually turn this on in the beginning but forgot to in this world.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:17:33 am »

This is one that bites (or has already bitten) many of us from time to time (read the facepalm thread...) :D - ask me how I know about this... (yes. FP. hard.)

I'm actually also not sure if the "amplification" of harvest yield through skill increase is as strong as it used to be in the current version - maybe I am on the way to another facepalm (when I get bored of the current fort, ticking along nicely, draining the magma sea, very low FPS -> it "plays itself" at the moment, I check every now and then).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.