Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manage Labor tips? Vanilla Edition  (Read 2607 times)

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Manage Labor tips? Vanilla Edition
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:12 am »

I want to play without DwarfTherapist, only vanilla game. But i had problem with the jobs.

I rename the initial Dwarves and the migrants with Nickname indicating preferences and profession, as McCooker, or McSteelRum.
I segregate Urist with Grower, Metalsmith, Woodworker, Cooking, and Mechanics... but i want to enable the rest of labor to all Dwarves... without open each categorie, ro remove the important labors.
Can i copy/paste labor between multiple Dwarves?

Or is better to enable all Skills (except hunting and Fishing, and alternating mining/woodcutter), and adjust Profile Workshops,  to manage that only certain level or better do the work? Farm is the only profession that lost efficiency with this method.

Any tips for jump into the latest version and help testing bugs?
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manage Labor tips? Vanilla Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:37 am »

I nickname my dwarves to their professions, e.g. Carpenter/Woodcutter. Each dorf is set up on migration for their job profile, with potential adjustments as more migrants arrive so the old ones can be relieved of some duties.
Apart from that, some adjustments are done later on, but I basically stick with the initial setup.
I'm also using individual designation of workshops to ensure the intended dorf takes care of those jobs, but in a mature fortress I might go for skill levels instead.
There's no cut-and-paste for labors as far as I know. The only "trick" available is shift-enter on a top category to change all of those below (shift-enter on e.g. metalworking would set or reset all of the jobs in that category). This is mostly used to disable hauling on someone who's supposed to do something important NOW (which will usually result in the bugger going to harvest instead, and then haul the harvested item to a food stockpile anyway).

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:42:34 am »

I normally have no issue with managing the labors once I set them up on initial embark/migration. I think that works well unless you are into micromanaging the labors, in that case Dwarf Therapist is required. It is possible to micromanage the labors from the game but its tedious. The way I see it; as long as the jobs I want done get done then it's all good.

I also tend to have my core group of initial dwarfs be my fall back if I need something specific done. If i was going to micromanage labors it would be with that core group rather than all the other plebeians who join the fun later on. Every once in a while I will 'promote' a specially worthy dwarf to my attention if he/she does something interesting to me.
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:36:51 am »

Usually if im stuck in vanilla mode for jobs. Everyone is assigned on arrival or coming of age. Then left to mill about in their job for the rest of days.

Though you can have some fun by not assigning ANY labors. And just trying to work with the ones who arrive... hope you like fishing hunting and beekeeping.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 04:30:14 pm »

To "copy-paste" labours in the game, the only real option is to use a macro: Ctrl+R, set the labours, go to (u)nit list Ctrl+R, then go select the dwarf you want to have the same jobs and Ctrl+P

Using skill levels for profiles can work indeed - I've used a legendary workshop to output spiked balls for the caravans while dabbling mechanic and carpenter jobs have make mechanism and make training spear on repeat.

Another note: Enabling all the labours on everyone....I think the main downsides are that you need to train dwarf up from dabbling in one go and that you may be prone to getting crappy moods. You can smooth and engrave your dining room more quickly overall if you have lot of idlers, but then you may get some artifact specters.

Other than smoothing and farming, you'll get also spills of masonry, carpentry, blacksmithing and mechanics as you do architecture such as bridges and furnaces.

Finally, speckling mining/woodcutting on everyone will mess up your (citizen's) milita, as well as ensure that any ambush onto a woodcutter will meet not just one woodcutter.

That said, there are lot of unmoodable qualityless labours, such as most of Farming category or all of healthcare. Meanwhile, most things under crafts are moodable, so you could make a "Minercrafter", for instance.

If you're using just shift-enter you might find the above useful.

On names....There are 65 jobs + hauling under VPL, but you can probably smoosh lot of it together and not care about others you never use such (you'll only rarely need anything but mechanics from under engineering, for instance, and dissection labours are even worse, only losing out to animal care). This means you can probably represent any job you care to name with two letters, perhaps 1 if you smoosh some labors together. Not that you need to do it, mind you.

Also, place your miners/woodcutters/hunters terms first so you'll not accidentally put them into military without disabling said labour.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 04:49:11 pm »

Using [SET_LABOR_LISTS:NO], and make a macro that activate all useless profession is a good idea.
If preferences and skills are useless, use the Macro.

Not using macros make my playing more tedious, I need learn the new tool.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:02:19 am »

Just remember that you'll have more fun if you don't give a crap about most of your dwarves. Just assign labors as you need them.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »

Just remember that you'll have more fun if you don't give a crap about most of your dwarves. Just assign labors as you need them.
But no fisherdwarves. There are no fisherdwarves to catch in the eastern swamp.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:07 pm »

But no fisherdwarves. There are no fisherdwarves to catch in the eastern swamp.

Or hunters either, but maybe I'm the only one who dislikes the random red C indicator that I have to keep checking.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »

Or hunters either, but maybe I'm the only one who dislikes the random red C indicator that I have to keep checking.
On one hand, they can kill cave crocodiles before haulers or web collectors get attacked. On the other, they're the main cause for cavern haulers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 12:55:35 pm »

I assign migrants labor upon arrival. Then I never think about them again until they are spread all over the dining room by a titan or some such.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:12 am »

I built some macros which I run on incoming migrants to enable common labors. Basically since dwarves need to keep busy and be creative I turn on a lot of quality-irrelevant jobs on everyone, and stonecrafting/bonecrafting so they can make creative things. Once you get a macro made it speeds everything up considerably.