Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New 64 Bit Version  (Read 1995 times)

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New 64 Bit Version
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:42:55 pm »

How's the new 64 bit version? Does it run substantially faster?

I'm doing a wee bit of testing today to see for myself, but I haven't had time to grow out a large fort yet and even at about 40 dwarves I'm slowed down to 72 FPS from a max of 150.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New 64 Bit Version
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:17:23 pm »

Thanks. I'll go browse. I'd hoped there was already a thread but I didn't see one based on a quick title scan.

ETA:

That thread appears to be mostly conjecture about future multi-threaded support and complaints about how many dll's are in the directory now. :(

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:25:01 pm by Guthbug »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 03:10:17 pm »

Well, that thread contains what little is available regarding speed differences. As far as I know nobody has done any rigorous comparison of the speed between the 32 and the 64 bit version and versus the old compiler to sort out if there are differences and if so, how large, and whether they depend on the bit-ness or the compiler change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:27:55 pm »

From that thread:
"This version flys! A large map with 768 years takes about 2.5 hours, mostly in the latter years.  Before it would take 4.5 hours to get to 1050 if the map didn't die. A 250 year map generates in minutes even when the event counter passes 750,000. Looks like it takes about 2 seconds and 1Mb per year for the 750k to 1M range of events on a 80k population with 65k dead. This is on my 4GHz (overclocked) i7-6700K CPU in openSUSE 42.1 with default scheduling (no tricks with nice.)   Keeps one full core maxed to the hilt but crossed that reserved memory with no issue.  .  I did notice that this version spawned less processes than the previous test release, too.

Of course the real test will be striking the Earth.  Onward, for Dwarfkind!"

Gonna go ahead and say that yes it is demonstrably faster, but how much faster will probably depend on what machine you run it on.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 04:14:39 pm »

It is faster in some ways. We talked about it over here in this thread a bit [page 1 and page 2, mostly].

Here is the sum of information about the 64 bit:
It's 2GB in Windows because it artificially imposes a 2GB limit in 32 bit for some reason.
"In non-PAE modes of x86 processors, the RAM is always limited to 3.76GB" from wikipedia, but you can find more at Microsoft. The math of a 64 bit is silly, at best. The reason for the self-imposed 32 bit RAM ceiling is because a 32 bit operating system could ONLY have 4 gigabytes of RAM total (before PAE). Your operating system needs some of that to run, and some of it is cushion space to open and run other processes in the background. Multi-threading offers an interesting work around as it allows your PC to run all of it's OTHER processes on other threads while DF can hop between a few with little bother. On a 64 bit install of Windows, you can put up to 128 gigabytes (I think that is the motherboard physical LIMIT right now, short of server hardware), and the OS can use all of it.

As a side note: if you want to get the most out of your DF and multi-thread machine, open task manager, go to processes, right click on DF and set it's priority to HIGH, and then set the AFFINITY to a couple cores and viola. The game will now use specific cores and it will run its process regardless of background programs.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:55 pm »

I'll have to do some apple to apple comparisons on my own here then. It was quite a bit slower on my machine, or that is to say, it slowed down a lot faster. My old potato laptop is not great, but it used to be able to play the older versions without too much issue.

Oddly enough, I can run a masterwork fortress for a lot, lot longer. I think all the cleanup embedded in that mod helps out on my end.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:02:19 pm »

I'll have to do some apple to apple comparisons on my own here then. It was quite a bit slower on my machine, or that is to say, it slowed down a lot faster. My old potato laptop is not great, but it used to be able to play the older versions without too much issue.

Oddly enough, I can run a masterwork fortress for a lot, lot longer. I think all the cleanup embedded in that mod helps out on my end.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how old is your potato? Does it support 64x?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:40:39 pm »

Cleanup can play a huge role in FPS control: minimize stuff on the ground, reduce animal/stone counts. Likewise, turning off temperature and weather can do wonders (and horrible things).
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:19:03 pm »

Laptop is about 2 years old. It's a 64 bit machine. I mostly just use it for writing and surfing. But who can live without DF? :)

I think when I was last playing I had shrank to a 4x4 embark and I always would go with about a 20 year world. This time I went with the default size and ran the world up to 108 years. Those factors, plus the intangibles you can't keep track of ... could matter.

Need more testing.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 01:01:55 am »

I just might be able to help with this how much faster is it debate.
 Anvillocked is a large 40.19 fort, on a 6*6, start year 1070, with weather and temp on.
When it reaches it's goal, I intend to post the save.
If you can run it.
If you can manage to upgrade it to 43+.
You can then compare.

Fair warning, I have (hopefully) 2 months to go.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.