Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: HLYBLEEP ADAMANDITE!  (Read 8861 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HLYBLEEP ADAMANDITE!
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

You lucky bastard. I opened my pit today because I was going to abandon the fort anyway, and I got 8 spirits of fire and one normal demon. Those guys tore my 58 dwarves apart. I only managed to kill a single spirit of fire. What really got me was not expecting them to be so damn fast.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

Heh heh, glad to see you made it Puzzlemaker.  Just remember that doors have no effect on demons, if you want to seal of the chamber effectively, build a wall.  Walls cannot be destroyed by any means.

Once things have settled down to the point where you're reasonably sure nothing else is gonna pop out at you from the pits, you might wanna build a bridge or two over the entrance, just to make sure.  Besides, it just looks cool.

Standard traps also do not affect demons.  If you want to build a corridor to deal with the demons, you'll have to use spike pits or the like.  I've never tried water, and haven't heard from anyone else who has, but it might be quite effective.  Not sure.

Don't use drawbridge squishy-traps.  They don't work, Toady's fixed that.  If you try it now, the drawbridge will crack as soon as it hits a demon, and the demon won't be affected.

Frog demons aren't that impressive.  Tentacle demons can give you a run for your money, but a well-trained well-equipped military can hack them to pieces (thus decorating your halls with hundreds of tentacle bits).  Standard demons are rare, and can be quite a pain.  Spirits of fire?  Forget it.  Batton down the hatches, and pray for underground rain to fizzle them.

That's why I was asking you about the engravings.  A lot of times, the type of demon will show up in the engravings, so you can get an idea of what'll come out of the pits.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Spirits of fire?  Forget it.  Batton down the hatches, and pray for underground rain to fizzle them.</STRONG>

1 Legendary Speardwarf can fuck a Spirit of Fire up, badly.

Just turn on combat reports with Companion and watch the fight Frame-By-Frame.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2008, 11:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

1 Legendary Speardwarf can fuck a Spirit of Fire up, badly.

Just turn on combat reports with Companion and watch the fight Frame-By-Frame.</STRONG>

Until it gets hits by a fireball.

As for the idea for a water trap, someone asked abotu it in a thread the other day. Seems like it wasn't a good (Effective) idea.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

When I was playing as a spirit of fire, it was a human pikeman who finally brought me down...

Apparently, if your spear is sharp enough, you can poke the limbs off an ethereal flaming demon.  Damn pike should've melted as soon as it touched me.

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>

wellll excuuuuuuse me please
at least with all the stupidity in us we at least managed to read the full tread before posting, unlike you who tries to tell him that demons will come out way after he was already attacked</STRONG>

I took my own advice.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

So, that was interesting.  Is there anywhere I can start a fort that will be more... challenging?  Right now its sorta boring after you get initially started and your fortress underway.  Although I guess what will be fixed with the Army Arc, which I am looking forward to...

Also, I tried adventure mode, and got eaten by a ratman in a cave.  After it ripped out my eyes.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

Looking for a challenge? Slaughter a few human caravans. Good times  :D
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

I'm sure you'll get better demons next time.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Impending Doom:
<STRONG>Looking for a challenge? Slaughter a few human caravans. Good times   :D</STRONG>

They do begin trading against once you beat them into a bloody pulp, right?

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

quote:
They do begin trading against once you beat them into a bloody pulp, right?

Not quite sure what you mean. In the old version, when enough caravans died the humans would send an army and lay siege to your fortress. after you beat them back, they would try to sign a peace treaty. If you agree, I believe they begin trading again.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Don't use drawbridge squishy-traps.  They don't work, Toady's fixed that.  If you try it now, the drawbridge will crack as soon as it hits a demon, and the demon won't be affected.</STRONG>

Not affected at all? That doesn't seem right. To be totally fair, it shouldn't be an insta-kill like it used to be, but instead do damage based on how heavy the bridge is, and the material. So say, a 1x2 talc bridge might shatter and do a pittance of damage to a regular demon, while a 5x10 steel bridge might splatter a tentacle demon all over the hallway while trashing the mechanisms and getting stuck halfway open.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

You can still use upright spike traps.  So far as I know, those don't shatter.

It just had to do with how easily you could do away with the demon invasion back in the 2D version with a few (or even just one) well-placed drawbridge.  While up, it could block progress entirely, while coming down, it would obliterate any demon instantly.  It's not like they're impossible to kill now, there's just one less cheap tactic you can use against them.

Also, do you get more build units by building with metal blocks or metal bars?  A bit out there, but I've been wondering.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]