Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engravings  (Read 2829 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 07:48:18 am »

This is only a little necromantic of me.  I recently encountered this:

So the crazy little bugger is drawing pictures of himself.  Why he isn't drawing pictures of my other legendary engraver, I don't know.
the gloved gresses was an engraving about what?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:36 am »

I remember my first kobold ambush... I lost 3 units that day. Yeah, I should have built a well so the dwarves did not have to go outside. Two of them died from chronic arrow-pincushon syndrome while wrestling with the front-line infantry, but the third, a competent crossbowdwarf, bled to death with wounds to both legs, one arm, and an arrow in his head. Before he expired, though, he shot one last kobold right in the throat (kinda reminds me of Saving Private Ryan's ending).

Why am I telling you all this? Later that year, My engraver drew that scene in his tomb. It was touching...

Also, the sheriff was asleep, and most of my soldiers was part of his squad. He later drowned trying to fight a fish in the river, his last words bieng a complaint about his office being "Meager" despite the stained glass windows and statue. Yeah, I need to get a better army.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 08:10:27 pm »

the gloved gresses was an engraving about what?

It appears to be about a fight a couple of dwarves got into in 19.  Looks like a dwarf fought a goblin slave in a goblin fortress and one killed the other.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:10 pm »

What I use engravings for is to tell the stories and histories behind my moded races, for example, how a certain race came to gain the ultimate weapons it owns. I just write a sentence of the history as an engraving and then add 5 spaces plus a tab, then putting in "Book 1" or something like that, and then adding another tab on the end. This causes a large space after the engraving sentence, and then that sun-like masterpiece item symbol, Book 1, and then the masterpiece item symbol again. Currently my longest history consists of about 20 engravings. This allows me and my friends to read the story once they have assembled all of the story engravings.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]