Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trouble setting up 0.43.05 in linux  (Read 2617 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
trouble setting up 0.43.05 in linux
« on: July 08, 2016, 03:41:26 pm »

so ive just now tried upgrading to the latest version and i cant seem to get either the windows version to run on wine, or the linux version to even install

im running Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

ive fallowed the instructions at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation#Linux but i still cant get it to install

ive tried just extracting it to my home directory like i did a while back for the linux version but there isnt a file that i can run anymore. there used to be a file with a purple parallelogram icon that was named DF that i double clicked and it ran.

and as for the windows version, ive tried double clicking it and my cursor changes to the "working" simbol and then nothing happens. ive also tried right clicking it and doing "launch with wine" to the same result.

im still pretty dumb with linux so theres probably some simple thing im missing. tbh i only use linux because some games run faster on it than they do on windows. DF isnt one of them, but ive been going between it and minecraft the past few days and i dont want to swap my HDD every 30 mins just to change games
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trouble setting up 0.43.05 in linux
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »

open up a terminal and type these lines
$ cd /home/steeljackalorwhateveryourusernameonyourcomputeris/downloadsorwhereveryou'veputthedffolder/df_linux
$ ./df

sorry if i seem like i'm talking down. i'm talking how i wished people would have talked to me when first using linux.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:37:37 pm »

open up a terminal and type these lines
$ cd /home/steeljackalorwhateveryourusernameonyourcomputeris/downloadsorwhereveryou'veputthedffolder/df_linux
$ ./df

sorry if i seem like i'm talking down. i'm talking how i wished people would have talked to me when first using linux.

EDIT: looked around the internet and found the fix, works now.

did that and got this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and yeah i prefer it when people are straight to the point when giving help so thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:19:04 pm by steel jackal »

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

Well then that looks like you're missing a library. Every time i put df on a new computer i usually have to get a few. Go to whatever software centre you use and get "libsdl2-2.0-0". If you're using a debian based variety (like Ubuntu) get the debian version, and if you're using the 32-bit version get that one (the one followed by :i386). It may also be worth getting libsdl-ttf2.0-0 and/or libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386. I can't remember if they come with SDL. Chances are you already have SDL you're just lacking the further details.

Failing that then in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0
or
sudo apt-get install (whatever)
ought to get you the files you need.

If you've further problems then include the version of linux, whether its 32 or 64 bit and the version number (i.e the most recent stable Ubuntu is 14.04).
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »

Well then that looks like you're missing a library. Every time i put df on a new computer i usually have to get a few. Go to whatever software centre you use and get "libsdl2-2.0-0". If you're using a debian based variety (like Ubuntu) get the debian version, and if you're using the 32-bit version get that one (the one followed by :i386). It may also be worth getting libsdl-ttf2.0-0 and/or libsdl-ttf2.0-0:i386. I can't remember if they come with SDL. Chances are you already have SDL you're just lacking the further details.

Failing that then in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0
or
sudo apt-get install (whatever)
ought to get you the files you need.

If you've further problems then include the version of linux, whether its 32 or 64 bit and the version number (i.e the most recent stable Ubuntu is 14.04).

i got it to work.

now i just need to figure out how to get the DF file to execute upon double click so i dont have to open terminal every time i launch.

i tried enabling "allow executing file as program" but it opens it in gedit when i click it

and graphics.... UGG the graphics are a pain to install without using LNP

but yeah its worth it, the save loaded in like 15 seconds as opposed to two minutes

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:53:14 pm by steel jackal »

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:09 pm »

now i just need to figure out how to get the DF file to execute upon double click so i dont have to open terminal every time i launch.
You can do that with a .desktop file; here's mine for reference:
Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dwarf Fortress
Comment=dwarf fortress
Exec=/path/to/df_linux/df
Icon=/path/to/df_icon.png
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=Game;
StartupWMClass=Dwarf_Fortress
Save it as dwarffortress.desktop, then mark it as an executable.  Use any icon you like - I ended up making my own.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:32:51 pm »

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dwarf Fortress
Comment=dwarf fortress
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=Game;
Save it as dwarffortress.desktop, then mark it as an executable.  Use any icon you like - I ended up making my own.

"there was an error launching the application"
was there something in the file i was supposed to change? i just copy pasted it into a text file

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:32:20 pm »

i got it to work.

Open up a terminal, go to your Dwarf Fortress directory and do this:

$ chmod u+x df

Now you should be able to open the executable by clicking on it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04:12 pm »

i got it to work.

Open up a terminal, go to your Dwarf Fortress directory and do this:

$ chmod u+x df

Now you should be able to open the executable by clicking on it.

did that, terminal didnt say anything and when i double clicked the DF file it just opened in gedit again.

looking around on google i have the symptoms of having my HDD formatted as NTFS but after checking by doing 'sudo blkid -o list > ~/myFileSytems' i can see that df is in an ext4 partition.

ill ask around the ubuntu fourms to see if anyone there can help.

but thanks everyone for the help i have gotten

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:59 pm »

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dwarf Fortress
Comment=dwarf fortress
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

was there something in the file i was supposed to change? i just copy pasted it into a text file
Yeah, you were supposed to replace the paths. If you look at your filesystem, you don't actually have root folder named path which contains folder to for holding dwarf fortress and nonexistent dwarf fortress icon.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 10:17:22 am »

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dwarf Fortress
Comment=dwarf fortress
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=Game;

Yeah, you were supposed to replace the paths. If you look at your filesystem, you don't actually have root folder named path which contains folder to for holding dwarf fortress and nonexistent dwarf fortress icon.

sweet that worked, now i can live at peace knowing that the fact i would have to use terminal to launch df every time isnt rotting in the back of my head anymore