Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A huge Lava Moat and no Front Door  (Read 737 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
A huge Lava Moat and no Front Door
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

I got a craving to see a fort with a HUGE 13 tile wide lava moat completely suurounding the fort along the absolute edge of the map, so I started one.

The reason I wanted this was so that if I were standing looking at the fort, I could assume that the moat had been dug like a cleft in the mountain and the fort stood separate from it as if you could 'see' the ramparts and towers of the fort (not as if the moat was just two connected caves a good deal apart and you could see nothing but their openings). I think it was Copperblazes that inspired me to make this one.

I also thought that I would like my front door to be at the back, so all travellers must be approved before the steal path is lowered over the magma moat and they can enter the building. They would have a bit of a hike, and merchants may never get to the depot in time so I MAY make a shortcut across the river, if not for the merchants to get IN but for dwarves to carry goods out to the depot outside.

Besides the Copperblazes moat idea, has anyone gone against the tide an made either side or back doors only?

It's been interesting so far in that my settlers are all in one long cave at the very bottom of the map, currently stretching from the opening to the magma and about 1/3 of the way up the back.
It's being designed so that there is a land walkway up along the far side of the magma, so that I have a straight line up the back.
Thanks to two abandonments and reclaims to being able to see the entire length of all 3 features! NO thanks goes to the nasty unni-corns plaguing my lands! I spent the second settlement reclaim crew trying to exterminate them, but no luck given they just respawn.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A huge Lava Moat and no Front Door
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

You can't raise/lower drawbridges outside the mountain. This may change in the upcoming version.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: A huge Lava Moat and no Front Door
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:31:00 am »

Hmmm, yr right, so it may need a little corner nicked off the fort near the moat entry so the brdiges can begin "underground". Might also need to take the moat in at the front-centre to do the same.

Thanks for the reminder!