Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavernous throne rooms  (Read 1636 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavernous throne rooms
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

My clerk "attended a meeting in a setting worthy of legends recently". It's fall of the first year; he was meeting with the dwarven liaison. The setting? One desk, one table, a few stockpiles, a staircase shaft, and about 200 squares' worth of mined out obsidian. Turns out that if you just make a room big enough, it gets legendary. Who knew? I'm going to start putting beds in the stripmining levels for my future forts.

(My current fort concept is "dwarves who hate the cold, on a glacier". They're doing their damndest to stay close to the magma, so the only big space right now is the top floor, which is sitting on top of the obsidian cap of the magma vent. I haven't yet figured out what to do with it, so hey, put the bookkeeper's office there.)

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
Re: Cavernous throne rooms
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

Wait for an important meeting than pump magma into the office. See if they talk about the "large armour" now... It should take a while to fill it up, so you should have some pretty strong dwarves by the end of it.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

dont put beds on the strirp mining levels as if rooms overlap they lose value and dwarves are unhappy if they share an overlapping room

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

No, just only put one bed on each. Twelve mined-out levels + Twelve beds = No overlap, and twelve unstoppably ecstatic dwarves.

I prefer doing this with dining halls, though - The dwarves are a little more willing to share those, and you can make it even more effective by tossing in all those extra artifact tables, statues, and chairs

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

Lesson learned the hard way:

If you use an artifact to blow away the value of a room, DON'T ASSIGN IT.

Naturally an artifact is something you're going to squeeze every once of value out of, so you're going to pack its room with furniture and double-dip your artifact for a throne room, dining room, mausoleum, romper room, whatever.

If you set it as the focus of one of the room types, say an artifact table set as a dining room, it won't be counted for any of the other room types.

Just put the artifact in the room and build everything else around it.

I have my Count and Countess Consort sharing an artifact room for everything except quarters and the value of the room is still obscenely high.

Their quarters are fun: they have a preference for ropes and chains, so I surrounded their beds with bejeweled silk ropes and sterling silver chains.  They're apparently very happy with that arrangement.

Incidentally plant fiber bags can add serious value to a room.  Dyed cloth, a decoration or two, a couple of value multipliers along the way, and they're worth a dozen coffers.  They also don't block egress like statues do.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

A lot of the value from your room is probably coming from the obsidian walls and floors.  Obsidian is worth three times normal rock, and that value is added to that of the room.  A 3x3 obsidian room with quality engravings is outrageous.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Don't forget to import some nice Giant Spider Silk Bags , encrusted with only the finest Milk Quartz and encircled with bands of Lead!  Those apparently are all the rage among nobles these days...
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

Mining out such huge rooms is very inefficient.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

This entire fortress is very inefficient. I'm going for style, not maximal productivity. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothering to tunnel a tight circle around the magma vent at each level. The caldera cap is basically the only large open space that the dwarves have, aside from outdoors, which they avoid because it's too blasted cold.

Speaking of which, I should put some hatches on the main entry stairs to cut down on lost heat.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

On the topic of material quality of walls and floors, if say you dug out a large chunk of magnetite and maybe even left a little unmined in the walls, magnetite walls and floors are something like 20x value.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

Heat won't actually raise the value of the room, but it would fit your theme. Dig out large cavities beneath each of your more luxurious rooms and fill them with lava for underfloor heating. Placing some unusually valuable items in the heated rooms could simulate the added value, and wisely placed grates could make a room double as a noble disposal.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Once I've gotten the fire imps trapped in cages (I want to experiment with mixing imps and ice), I'm going to look into adding underfloor heating. Right now the bedrooms just nestle right up to the wall of the vent, so they're pretty dang hot already. I'm planning to turn the caldera into a large open garden, which should include channels to the magma, but I've had problems with the magma bubbling up out of channels, I guess because it thinks it should be one z-layer taller than it actually is.

Part of the vent forms a nice 'C' shape; the noble quarters will be going in there, where they can be surrounded on three sides by magma.

I should also look into making a hot bath area using water from the aquifer. A pity steam is so hard to create.