Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newbie needs help with a couple of questions  (Read 1734 times)

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs help with a couple of questions
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 11:07:24 am »

I like the idea of the largest sized world possible with the longest history. I was under the impression the world size and history don't effect your actual gameworld, just the time it takes to generate the world itself.

Well what exactly does low FPS mean in this game. I know what lag is but I'm confused with such a term applied to this type of game. Does it mean each 'turn' takes longer? If that's the case I'd be okay with a smaller FPS I think.

Yes I understand my first, errr, 50 tries will end with me not even understanding what's going on. I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea of the embark site size and stuff.

Hell I am one of those helpful people iirc :P

Anyways, even withy my top of the line hardware i find it harder to recommend anything larger than 4x4. apart from certain mega projects there is usually not that much need for such a large space.

As for size of world and history generation, I would always gen for at least a thousand years to make sure the first generation of mega beasts are properly sized. As for world size, I am a sucker for large worlds because the terrain generated can be very beautiful but from a raw performance perspective during gen and after in our newly aw3akened worlds smaller ones are going to be better.

Back in 34.11 on my old computer running at 3.2 Ghz i ran world gen for 10k years on the largest map. multiple OOM crashing but after some tailoring i finally got one to last until the end after 26 hours

Since you have a quad core processor df is not going to notice the other background applications much but you can ensure maximum performance by setting its affinity to Processor # 2 and 3 and upping its priority to high. this way its likely running on the least used cores in the system and gets top billing when it comes to cycle time

Further designing your fort has a great impact of fps. You will want to limit the amount of areas you carve out and wall off old abandoned mine shafts in order to make the A* pathfinding algorithm to check as few tiles as possible
Pages: 1 [2]