Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coldtomb - A Community Fortress  (Read 910 times)

Austere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Coldtomb - A Community Fortress
« on: June 15, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

Hello, everyone. This is the first time I've done something like this. This is a specific type of succession fortress. For right now, it's only going to be my friends and I taking year long turns. Eventually, if we get bored of this system and if anybody is still following at that point, we'll let other people take turns. If you want to be dwarfed, however, just ask.

Year One: Austere
Year Two:

The Backstory

The first King of The Rumored Labor was very enterprising, always seeking ways to better himself and his kingdom. This was difficult, however,
as his kingdom had no neighbors but the Dwarven kin of The Stern Smith, who in fact were facing utter defeat at the hands of a vile force of
Goblinfolk who originated far in the north. Because he lacked any stable trade partners and feared Goblin invasion, he sought a solution in
colonization. Eventually, information was brought to the King detailing a site known as The Branded Frost, a glacier that rode up the side of
a mountain range known as The Spike of Granite. According to the old tomes and articles that the information had come from, the glacier was in
range of all available trade partners, be it Elf, Human or Goblin, with whom the Dwarves would surely trade death for death. The King's interest
was piqued, and he sent an Expeditionary Force of thirty Dwarves to survey the area. It took a year for the Expeditionary Force to reach the glacier,
and it took a year for them to return. When they did return, they were short eleven Dwarves, explaining that the local wildlife had been immensely
fierce. They did have positive news, however. Despite the mountain's range's name, the mountain that they had surveyed was actually made up of Limestone,
a valuable flux. They went on to report that the area contained a great many iron ore deposits and fuel sources, and many different types of minerals.
The King thanked the expeditionary force for their services to the Kingdom and had them well paid and promptly dismissed. After this, he called upon his
Personal Guard and gave them the order to scour the fortresses' winesinks and barracks for prospective settlers. It was time for his kingdom to flourish.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:03:47 pm by Austere »

Austere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Coldtomb - A Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:02:11 pm »

You find an old, dusty -toad leather journal- on the ground, the pages are old, splotched with Dwarven swill and like to collapse into dust if you're not too careful.
You begin flipping through the journal.

The first page details the supplies of a caravan, perhaps? Scribbled next to this ledger is a picture of two turkey poults.

The second page begins abruptly, introducing the writer.

Call me Ronny, because that's what they called me back at Decentcave. The King chose me to lead an 'expedition' to some frozen wastes far away from home, no doubt
populated by savage beasts and greenskins. I enjoyed my life back at Decentcave. I owned the only tavern in the Glacial Pages-Spikes, that being our mountain, of course.
The King certainly chose me because of my disparaging comments concerning the Baron of Decentcave, Fikod Goldplaited. Damn that fat bookworm, always mucking around on
the surface, always claiming he would discover nature's secrets. What did he think he would find? We were surrounded by ice and rock, even on the surface! Dumb as an elf,
that one! Bah. I can't say much else as of right now. I don't even know that much about the folks travelling with me. I have no doubt that they've been damned by the nobility
as well. I'll continue writing when we reach the Branded Frost. If we reach it, of course.

Xgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:29:54 am »

This is going to be the first time I done something like this too! What are the rules? Can I have a spot for Year 2?

Xgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:29:18 pm »

You there?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:40 pm »

Hello, everyone. This is the first time I've done something like this. This is a specific type of succession fortress. For right now, it's only going to be my friends and I taking year long turns. Eventually, if we get bored of this system and if anybody is still following at that point, we'll let other people take turns. If you want to be dwarfed, however, just ask.

Xgen, read this
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Xgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »

Oh crap. I must have dyslexia or something.  :(