Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Being a writer  (Read 1117 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Being a writer
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:07 am »

I've heard that you can read and write in the adventure mode now, I have a couple of questions though:

1. What kind of sites contain libraries? How oftenly those are present in those sites? Is there any way to learn where those are through conversation with NPCs?
2. Where can I get blank scrolls and quires?
3. How can I create poetry? Do I have to write it down?
4. How can I influence the world with my writing? Should I sell my works or somehow add them to a library?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Being a writer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:44:04 am »

It's not possible yet to ask directly where the nearest library is. NPCs will occasionally tell you about a library when you ask about sites which have one. Best way right now is to check Legends. Libraries are listed under structures and you'll find there aren't that many (humans will only build them if their civ values knowledge).

Libraries will currently survive the destruction of a site, so you'll often find scholars happily scampering around otherwise ruined fortressess oblivious to the doom that destroyed the place lurking just a few z layers down.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »

4. How can I influence the world with my writing? Should I sell my works or somehow add them to a library?

Im pretty sure that if you add them to a library people will visit the site and read your book. Also scribes might copy it and those copies can be sold to other places.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:51:05 pm »

Well, so far I haven't found any library - I checked the legends and I don't think that there are any in my world. Are those standalone structures or parts of towns?

Also, I can still find no way to obtain writing devices, are libraries the only place to find them?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:38:11 pm »

The libraries would be located under structures. There you'd find an entry for a library if your world has one and the site it would be situated in. Could be town, but most likely fortress.

Meadhalls, bandit camps, and tombs can sometimes have scrolls and quires.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:10 pm »

I see, so you can't buy them then, can you?

UristMcArrowDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:39:12 pm »

If my Dwarf adventurer survives long enough, I want him to write a book entitled "Severed Parts I Have Sent Flying Off in an Arc", then retire. 

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 11:34:33 pm »

I see, so you can't buy them then, can you?

Well you can atleast buy copies in fort mode. I suppose a good way to try it out would be to build a decent fort with a library that has many scholars, scribes and material to write on. Then switch to adventure mode and travel there. Do your work there and leave the books. Then haveloads of copies of it sold to merchants in fort mode.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...