Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dishonored 2  (Read 3777 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dishonored 2
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 06:11:11 pm »

I think the chaos system from the first dishonored was a stroke of absolute brilliance from the developers. They give the player all these neat powers, gadgets and weapons to murder your way through the whole city.... and then challenge you not to use them. Why? because corvo was never an assassin, he was a bodyguard. His job was to protect people and it was the conspirators who tried to turn him into a killer. So the powers, weapons, etc, were the game tempting the player like corvo was being tempted.

Of course the save/reload system sort of ruined that because you could go on consequence free murder sprees, or reload 500 times if you needed to but still, so many games focus on making the good/evil paths equal (or even making the good path better). It was kind of refreshing to see both the good path be more difficult, and to see a real temptation for the player. I thought it was a very clever touch anyway that I think a lot of people unfortunately missed.

So I hope they at least try and do something similar for dishonored 2, or try some other clever thing and don't just fall back on the standard "press A to donate 5000 gold" v "press B to burn down the orphanage for no reason" style moral system

I actually hated that.  I hate when a game gives you all kinds of cool shit to play with and then punishes you for using it.  I'm a perfectionist in games like this so giving me a bad ending or lower score or something for doing the cool shit may as well be saying I can't do it at all.

SWAT 4 was another one that annoyed me.  Why do we have all these guns and all this ammo and shit when we can't actually use it?  I usually had one teammate with a gun just in case it was shoot him or lose, but I always restarted if that happened because I want to win.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 06:13:02 pm »

What do you mean Cthulhu? Don't you love "Stop having fun" mechanics? :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 08:20:01 pm »

For me it was ineffective. I played the game No Kill (with lots of reloads.) So when I was bored I'd just blink strike a guy, start a street brawl, get my rocks off then reload. I didn't have any interest in the bad ending, and didn't feel like a Chaos run would spice things up anymore than I could really do by just going hog wild. I mean, when you've had to carefully put yourself in position for every takedown in the game, just simply running in and killing everybody was way easier and quicker to do. Not much of a compelling reason to replay it.

It was a difficulty/challenge mode that IMO was built too close to the core gameplay. (i.e. story endings.) And I feel like its importance was overhyped unless you were purposefully not reloading your game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:39:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 08:29:58 pm »

Frankly I don't think the high chaos ending is a bad ending. If you want the "bad ending" you have to kill Emily (or let her be killed) at the very end.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3]