Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can decorations burn ?  (Read 922 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can decorations burn ?
« on: May 26, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

Well, really short question, I didn't find anything about this :

Can decorations burn or melt by contact with magma or fire ?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Can decorations burn ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »

I believe decorations share the same properties as the item they are attached to, for the purpose of destruction.  For example, if you have a 'pig tail trousers' decorated with steel, and the shirt catches fire, the whole item will be destroyed, as opposed to being left with a pile of ash and studs.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:07:49 pm »

Aw. So there's no coldness in my artifact gold door decorated with nether-cap? (dfhack doesn't want to give temp for it in view menu)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:40:28 am »

Thank you, Immortal-D :)

@Fleeting Frames:
Artifacts CAN burn, but will NOT get destroyed. That much I found out myself.
This can lead to all kinds of fun, as a coal or wood Artifact statue would burn forever.
If you placed it in a hallway dedicated for Invaders to pass through and then set it on fire, the would try to deconstruct it and incinerate themselves. If they managed to deconstruct it before dying, you would have the problem to build it again, as it would still burn.

Artifacts can't burn away, but they can melt.  If you apply an artifact made of a material with a melting temperature below the temperature of magma, then being hit by magma can cause the artifact to simply evaporate.  Being in a bin doesn't help.  You need to use artifacts made from materials that will burn but not melt.

Also, as far as I know, nothing dodges steam.

Non-INORGANIC materials have a tendency to vanish into thin air when exposed to magma - this usually includes wood and bone, though for some reason it also includes glass. If you want to use an ever-burning artifact, your best bet is to use something made of bituminous coal or lignite.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:33:28 am »

The point of nether-cap is to make it not catch fire/remain pathable in case some fire fb decides it looks delicious.

And given NO_BREATHE fireimmune BDs (though those who breathe probably don't care whether artifact is built or not when their lungs are full of smoke), I think perhaps a burning artifact could be better used as tricky way to melt frozen rivers with perhaps less FPS loss than running a magma river under or above it.

Or it might also lead to insane FPS loss with all the smoke, water flow, temperature, evaporation and falling....Wonder if fish would emerge pre-roasted =D?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:20:58 am »

it might also lead to insane FPS loss with all the smoke, water flow, temperature, evaporation

Yes. It will lead to insane fps drops. Think Ive seen threads on this before.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...