Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scroll scribe copies  (Read 772 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scroll scribe copies
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »

My single scribe has been on the job for nearly a year.  When assigned, he immediately set about copying all the scrolls bought from caravans.  There are no assigned scholars as all immigrants have been void dwarves with no scholarly skills, but visitors have come and produced original works.  It appears that the scribe has never copied an original scroll, even though there are plenty of blank scrolls available.

I've noticed something like this in previous forts, where I thought it was that scribes didn't copy scrolls at all.  But again, this scribe copied all the purchased scrolls, then just seems to have stopped working.  Anyone know why?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Scroll scribe copies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »

Maybe its the allowed amount of writing supplies or whatever its called? I had problems with people writing books in relation to that. I had to raise it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »

It doesn't appear that's the problem.  My writing material is 37/100.  But it leads to questions of other limitations so I'm expanding the library in case it's a shortage of something else, like chairs, tables, coffers or bookcases.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:32 pm »

Scribes just seem to be lazy, I know mine is working because copies of books written by scholars show up occasionally, but he never seems to be doing the actual job and most of the books in my fortress remain uncopied. I always find him harvesting pineapples or something instead.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:26:05 am »

There is a bug that stops them from copying anything and just idle if they are stopped mid copying something. Think there was a temporary fix if you found the quire (should say task or tsk on it) and then forbid it unforbid it.

Could also be that he hates knowledge and isnt curious.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...